• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 1974 TR6 distributor advance spring specs

gtemkin

Freshman Member
My distributor was taken apart and the springs were mixed in with springs from other Lucas distributors. Would anyone know the wire diameter, outside diameter, number of turns, and overall length information so I can find the ones that were there originally. Rough measurements might be fine cause there's only 10 springs to sort from.

Thanks,
Gregg

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Greg you might be better off sending the unit off to Advanced distributors, he rebuilt mine and it works great, before the weights were frozen. he also puts a new bushing in and checks the whole thing, and will recurve it

if you didnt take the springs off how will you even begin to get the right ones back on

Hondo

OP
G

gtemkin

Freshman Member
By the way, I'm the one who mixed the springs together. My bad.

Spring forces are governed primarily by material properties (alloy and temper) and winding dimensions. If we ignore the material aspects, for the purposes of sorting, then the winding dimension specs should be fine to get me in the ballpark. I know there are plenty of opportunities for tweaking things, but I'm just looking for the basic spring setup, so I can hav a starting point.

Gregg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
You will need someone with a distributor taken apart. Otherwise the stretched spring measurement would be meaningless.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I would expect one spring (thin wire) to be very close to its relaxed length with the weights at rest and the other spring (thick wire) to be slack (i.e at its relaxed length) with the weights at rest. So measurements & descriptions in situ should get you pretty close.

In fact, a good digital photo may be enough to go on.

Frozen weights are easily fixed... once the distributor is out there is really only one screw (under the rotor) holding things together.

I have never understood how someone can properly recurve a distributor without matching the curve to the engine (other than just installing the stock springs).

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Geo, you are correct, there is a lot more information needed to recurve a distributor properly, I didnt see the need to list all that informtion, if Gregg was planning to send it off to Advanced Dist, or someone else they would have asked him for more details

OP
G

gtemkin

Freshman Member
I have a number of reasons why I don't want to send my distro away to be setup right now. Just want a close to stock setup to get the car running.

I like the approach mentioned of judging the primary spring by a slight tension at rest and ensuring the secondary spring is selected to allow delay before it's put under tension.

Since the spring mixup was between distros for 4 cylinder BMC A series cars and the TR-6 distro I'm hoping they designed the at rest length entirely differently and the resorting will then be simple.

Thanks, for the great suggestions.

Gregg