• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1972 MGB, Barn find, what's it worth?

Zitch

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I found a 1972 MGB, body looks ok, no overdrive 65k on the clock. Does not run, tires flat, turns over manually. Owner wants 1500-1800. Is it worth it?

Ted

I'll try to get so pics up

url]

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/605

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Pix, yes. If it spins you likely have a good start.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Worthless. I'd not buy it at all. Where did you say it was again? :smile: You've come to the right place. Some pictures and descriptions will help us give you the best answer.

Welcome to the BCF.

Vince

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I was just thinking about that very statement. I need to write my chairman's letter for my club's next news letter. I was going to write that I might have to go over to the Dark Side and get a Lotus or a 'rumph! :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mehheh... *LOTUS*

...'nuf said.

:devilgrin:

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
If I could afford one doc, I might just get a '67. I can only juggle 7 projects at a time ya' know.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Vince,

MG's are the DARK SIDE.Of course I owned a Triumph first!
"Man it's tough to be a gangster" - Office Space.

- Doug

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Zitch said:
I found a 1972 MGB, body looks ok, no overdrive 65k on the clock. Does not run, tires flat, turns over manually. Owner wants 1500-1800. Is it worth it?

Ted

url]

I would say that it's all in how bad you want it. For me, 1500 would be a little high. I gave 800 for my 79 and 600 for the 70. Needless to say they both needed total restoration. If the price is comfortable for you and you want it, do your thing and go for it. One thing I would like to mention, a "B" is never worth what you put into it if you totally restore it! You do it because you enjoy it! JMHO. PJ

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Keep in mind that the interior of the car is likely a total loss. I paid $1300 for mine, you can see pictures of it if you click the link in my sig or search my posts back to the very beginning. Good luck!

booley

Jedi Trainee
hard to tell from those pix, but it looks solid.
offer 1200, go up to 1500 if you have to...

depends how bad you want, but it looks do-able

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
If the rockers and floors and fenderwells are solid probably not a bad deal, if there are rust issues go dowm, people still pick these up for under a grand, needing major cosmetics and some rust and mechanical of course. But if very solid and rust free a great start, interior bits run up a bill in a hurry too, check seats, carpets, panels, instruments, switches, dash, etc. carefully.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Zitch said:

Ted

url]

Not an expert on B's, but it looks good from the photos. Buy it and ship it Bob67gt. He'll have it restored and back to you in 30 days or less. the man is an animal when a car needs restoring. :laugh:

What others have said regarding condition and price, and how bad you want it. Give us an opinion Bob.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
If you pay $1. for it you will probably be over budget and upside down when you are finished. If it really is original metal and not rusted except maybe in the dog leg area then $1500 would be ok as far as what I would pay. Its better to spend more and get a good body v/s a $500. rusty junker and think you could repair it for less. Bob

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd agree with Bob. I picked up my '74 for $300less and now it's a great runner but still rusty. It'll cost me a fortune to re-do the body even if I do it myself. I've opted to just drive the darned thing and not worry about it being perfect. Maybe a quickie body job and some paint but not major surgery.