• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT6 1970 gt6 floors first look- not as bad I thought!

1962siia88

Freshman Member
Hey all:

I made some progress today on the gt6. I removed the seats and all the carpet and the gas tank. The drivers side floor is pretty bad but I dont think I need to replace the whole thing and the passenger side is going to be fine. The rear end is perfect and the gas tank looked good inside too. I was really surprised to find that the fuel level sender is the same unit as a series land rover with a different flange to attach to the hole in the top of the tank. The sender looked brand new!

Here is a pic of the floors https://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn227...pg&newest=1

Thanks,

Daniel

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I am so jealous, I want a GT6. I may get a chance later this year to look for one depending on where my son decides to go to college but I love the looks of them. I seriously need to take one for a ride and see what it is like

OP

1962siia88

Freshman Member
Hey there:

I'm pretty excited about this car. I was just beginning my search for a gt6 and wasn't really planning to buy one this year as I have two series land rover projects that I need to finish, but I sold a third rover project and this gt6 came up and I fell in love so now its in my garage.

My plan is to replace/repair all the hydraulics next and then go through the entire electrical system and get it all fully functional and then put a good used stock engine in it and drive it. I think I'm just going to wet sand the paint and leave it be. It will look great from ten feet!

Daniel

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dan - what are your plans for treating the floor pans? Looks like it's just surface rust. Same on the underside?

I'd probably remove the rust with a wire brush, spray with phosphoric acid, then use some type of rust protectant (POR15, Eastwood, etc.).

If you have no rust-through or pin-holes, and it's just surface stuff, then you're a lucky man.

Tom

Country flag
1962siia88 said:
Hey there:

I'm pretty excited about this car. I was just beginning my search for a gt6 and wasn't really planning to buy one this year as I have two series land rover projects that I need to finish, but I sold a third rover project and this gt6 came up and I fell in love so now its in my garage. Daniel

Now don't neglect that turquoise/white Metropolitan peeking in the picture! It has British heritage too! :laugh:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Daniel - that is encouraging, and likely not having to replace the full pan is great, but it might be a bit too soon to declare victory :smile:

You need to hit all of that with a wire brush on an angle grinder, really hit it hard, before you'll know what you are dealing with. The rear floor will likely be OK but jury is out still on the front section.

Overall however, still great news!

Richter12x2

Jedi Hopeful
tdskip said:
Hi Daniel - that is encouraging, and likely not having to replace the full pan is great, but it might be a bit too soon to declare victory :smile:

You need to hit all of that with a wire brush on an angle grinder, really hit it hard, before you'll know what you are dealing with. The rear floor will likely be OK but jury is out still on the front section.

Overall however, still great news!

^This. Our passenger side on the GT6 didn't look too bad until we started to notice that we could see daylight through it. We hit it with the wirewheel on an angle grinder and huge pieces of floor disintegrated. It was so bad my wife thought the wire wheel was cutting through the floor until I showed her how it worked on a good section and explained that if the metal was good, there's no way it would damage it.

It's better to find that stuff out now then to have a passenger push your carpet down to the asphalt one day! :laugh:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Richter12x2 said:
Our passenger side on the GT6 didn't look too bad until we started to notice that we could see daylight through it. We hit it with the wirewheel on an angle grinder and huge pieces of floor disintegrated. It was so bad my wife thought the wire wheel was cutting through the floor until I showed her how it worked on a good section and explained that if the metal was good, there's no way it would damage it.

Exactly - now that said it looks like the floor reference points here are pretty good and the sections where new floor material would go down should be pretty easy to work with. So overall not bad at all, several of my cars has certainly been far-far worse, but now is the time to get it all out and than means wire brushing without mercy!

OP

1962siia88

Freshman Member
Re: 1970 gt6 floors first look- not as bad I thoug

Hey all

Thanks for the responses and good advice. I most definitely will attack to pans and get them down to bare steel. The drivers foot well is toast and will be replaced and I may have to do the entire pan on that side. The recessed section under the drivers seat is pretty thin and flimsy so it will have to go but the rest of that pan is solid. I'll just keep cleaning for now and make the decision after all the rust is gone. I'll keep posting as I make more progress. Thanks.

Daniel

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Please don't take the conversation on this the wrong way - I'd be thrilled if the TR4a floors looked that good.

Hit them with a wire brush and get some new pictures over to us ASAP. We're eager to see how you are getting in.

Sorry if we sucked a bit of the wind out of your sails, that wasn't the intention. We were just trying to make sure that you didn't have an surprises later on rather than dealing with them now (which is the right time to handle them).

Now the good news is that the rest of her structure is likely pretty good based on the limited damage you found here.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Is that the battery platform / box in the trunk area? Where do you keep your spare tire?

OP

1962siia88

Freshman Member

No worries about raining on my parade! This isn't my first project of this nature. I'm just glad I didn't find Swiss cheese under the seats. The seat tracks were rusted in place and took a few days of soaking in oil to get them moving so I assumed both sides were done for. More pics will be coming asap.

Yes the battery lives in the spare compartment. This was someones autocross car and wasn't driven on the street very much is my understanding. It's been sitting in a garage since 1978.

Daniel

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Oh; by the way welcome to the forum, great looking GT6+. I'm not the kind to start anything, but maybe we can tip the scales away from those TR's.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Hey on the picture taking, could you show me under the dash? Specifically the brace rods for the dash and the steering column. I'm going to put them back in soon and it's been 24 years since I disassembled it.

OP

1962siia88

Freshman Member

Sure I'll get a pic for you. I believe they started disassembling stuff under there but I get a pic of what's there.

D

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

...and then go through the entire electrical system and get it all fully functional... Daniel [/quote]
It's a Lucas system...move on to something else.