• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 1967 commission number decoding

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I need a little help decoding my commission number, CTC71954 L. I understand the CTC is for IRS, the next numbers are the 'serial' number, and the L is for ? Paint code is 56, Royal Blue, Trim code is H 11, black leather and the 2660 is gross weight? This car will need a full restoration and I'm considering BRG as well as others for the color. Does a proper repaint in anything other than the original color hurt the value of the car? I'm also considering swapping the transmission for an OD unit...I remember how much fun it was on my last '67 to have a 7 speed! How would that affect the value?
Thanks, Rut

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The "L" in the commission number is for Left Hand Drive. As far as changing the color of the paint and adding an OD, if anything, the OD will add more value and the paint shouldn't have an effect on the value. These cars aren't high value collectibles where it's all that important if they retain every feature that it was born with. What's more important is that you make the car they way you want it so you can enjoy it. That's just my opinion. BTW, if the car originally came with an overdrive, there would be an "O" after the "L" in the commission number.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks guys! I assumed that like my Bugeye and MGB a color change done properly might actually help add 'curb appeal'. My previous '67 TR4a was black with red leather interior and I loved it, but always lusted after a BRG. When restoring these cars I always lean toward originality or to a modification that would be considered period and end up painting them the color they were born with. This car could be different!
Rut

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The addition of an OD should increase the value/salability but when I did this I put the original gearbox in the corner so the next guy can decide what he wants.

I agree too that color change (if you stay with a correct 4A color) will have no significant impact on value unless your aim is a true 100-point restoration. These aren't XKSS's, thousands were built and most future owners will be buying them to drive.

Was the 4A using the same palette as the TR4? If so, the green was 'Triumph Racing Green' (also known as 'Conifer' in some years). That is a medium (not dark) green with a touch of blue. I have never seen an official shade for BRG so not sure how that would fit your expectations.

Anyway, your car, your choice but yeah, thanks for not choosing red.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Geo is right about "Conifer" / "Triumph Racing Green"! Again, this my own personal taste: I've always kinda liked Conifer but would never go out of my way to use it where it hadn't been used originally. If you do decide against Royal Blue, you might want to find a "BRG" (of the hundreds of possibilities for same) that you truly like and go with that...and don't limit yourself just to 1960s colors.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Andrew,
Theres a Jag BRG that I like and I've got plenty of time to make a decision.
Thanks, Rut

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
Your car your wallet. If you change tranny or add OD do you have to change any rear end stuff? My 67 TR4A does not have OD and after some long club drives have wondered if OD would make them more pleasurable.

Irene

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...If you change tranny or add OD do you have to change any rear end stuff?...

No. The OD gearbox fits up just like the conventional 4-speed. Speedometer still reads the same too. Changes are a bit of wiring and adding a switch and a relay.

BTW, I always call it a gearbox ever since my Google search of 'British Tranny' took me way off the intended path.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Strictly my opinion, but in a sea of green (and red) 4As, a Royal Blue one will catch people's eyes! :D

When I bought my Royal Blue 66 TR4A as a used car in 1969 I rarely saw another Royal Blue 4A but interestingly began to see a lot of TR250's in Royal Blue and still do. It's a great color for these cars but I am biased. The ones I saw had black or blue interiors, mine has a Red interior making it very unique and I have yet to see another but I do know of one or two and one of those is just 27 Commission numbers older than mine. So I assume there are more than a few built this way. Anybody know of any?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I find it really tough to pick car colors by looking at paint chips or computer screens. The actual car just never quite looks the same. So I spent years looking at cars on the street for just the right shade of BRG to suit my eye. Finally found it on a 2005 Lotus in "British Racing Green Metallic". Absolutely beautiful!
185950d1338349325-2005-british-racing-green-elise-sale-081.jpg

So you can imagine my disappointment when the paint shop said they couldn't match it!! Turns out, Lotus uses a paint system that does not meet US EPA requirements. The cars have to be painted in Belgium!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Great color. For me that Lotus green will always be the British Racing Green - the colour of Jim Clark's Lotus 38 that won Indy.

But I agree, too few blue cars are seen and the TR4 styling looks very fine in that shade. Only handy photo I have is a TR5, but the look is about the same and it offers a comparison to the more common green & red:

4-5-6_zpsc0d58e54.jpg

Country flag
Rut
I have a BRG code 75 (I think I remember correct code) TR6 , I just resprayed last year if you want to see it. Also correct overdrives if you decide that way

Marv

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Marvin,
Looks like another road trip to Florence!
Thanks, Rut

MarshgrassA

Jedi Trainee
A car club friend's dark blue TR4A is what attracted me to the model. Beautiful color on the TR4 body style. I looked at a few in my hunt and ended up with a white one. It fit the saying to buy the best of what you like that you can afford! Never thought I'd buy a white car of any brand much less an old LBC but I think it is beautiful.

Cheers,
Irene

Attachments

• Kiawahconcours2013_1n.jpg
    Kiawahconcours2013_1n.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 114

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
FYI in case anyone is interested in my BRG saga...

I have a 1975 Austin-BMC-MG-Triumph British Racing Green on my car, painted by the PO. I think it is the perfect BRG to be honest. The car was originally Triumph Racing Green. One thing is clear, the paint codes are unclear. As I have done my research, I have come up with the following:

Triumph Original Factory Color (I guess the PO didn't care for this I think b/c it has just a shade of blue to it)
Year: 1966
Make: Triumph
Model: TR4A
Color: Triumph Racing Green
Factory: Code 25
PPG/ Ditzler: Code 43232
DuPont: Code 96778A

Paint presently on car (beautiful shade of BRG applied in 1999 to entire car by PO)
Year: 1975
Make: Austin-BMC-MG-Triumph
Model: Not specified
Color: British Racing Green
Factory: Code 75/6064 or HAA or 43
DuPont Centari: Single Stage Acrylic Enamel Code 43912A (code on the paint can the PO gave me)
Optional Codes: BLVC75 (others show it only as Code “75”)
BLMC75 British Racing Green
BLVC254
PPG/Ditzler: Single Stage Acrylic Enamel Code MAE45102

But, back in 2007 I was unable to get paint shops to match/mix this again even though I have the original paint can (Dupont Centari) with the Code 43912A. They can't seem to find that code in their books. Very weird!

So I went with next closest (for touch-up in the engine compartment) which was:

Paint Used For Touch-Up in Engine Compartment
Year: Unknown
Make: Jaguar
Model: Not specified
Color: Jaguar Racing Green
PPG/ Ditzler: Acrylic Enamel Code: MAE46169 A

I was told that, to a professional painter, the Jaguar Racing Green appears one shade darker than the 1975 Austin-BMC-MG-Triumph British Racing Green on the car. But, to a lay person they would never be able to tell. So, for engine compartment touch up it works.

Having said all that, in 2013 a new paint shop was able to find the code for 1975 Austin-BMC-MG-Triumph BRG as PPG Brand Code 924499

Hope this helps rather than confuses!

Bob