• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1960 triumph 10

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Just wondering if you guys could help me decide whether a Triumph 10 is worth restoring. I had a guy ask me about my car and then proceded tell me that he had a 10 that he wanted to "get rid of". Not sure what that means but I was wondering if I should investigate this car.
He said he had most of the parts and had had some repaired and replaced.
Anyway, just give me an idea. Should I call or not?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Larry, it depends on one's definition of "worth restoring"! It's almost impossible to make money by restoring and selling any car, and I'd almost be willing to guarantee you wouldn't make money "flipping" a Triumph 10. But they're charming, fun and economical, and one in basically good condition is certainly worth preserving and maintaining.

But then I'm more than a bit biased; unfortunately, this one isn't still around:

dads10b.jpg

Yours truly is peeking out the RF window, October 1958, not long after Dad got the car!

(slightly larger version of above photo)

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Great picture!!!!

MCNX_BFF

<span style="color: #993399">Larry,
When/if you go and see the car, your heart will tell you if it's "worth restoring". Granted, hearts and wallets don't always speak the same language :wink: Here's one that was at Triumphest in SLO--an ab fab and unique car. Just go for it!
Triumphest2009015.jpg
Triumphest2009016.jpg

Andrew, what a fantastic picture. Aaaww, too cute!
--Monica</span>

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Well thanks for all the nice thoughts and pictures. I guess my main concern the availability of parts. May be more trouble then it's worth.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Some parts are not easy to source. But many others are fairly common and can be found on other Triumphs and, indeed, many other British cars. Besides, they're as reliable as any other Triumph (take that as you will; to me, it means they're pretty reliable)!

And yeah, that's about my all-time favorite family photograph! Too bad mom wasn't in the picture, but she was the one working the Brownie Hawkeye.

OP
T

TFR

Jedi Trainee
Outstanding.. Have similar pictures with my Mom and Dad in the 1960 Ford Galaxie.. Good times...

Thanks for your help I may repost after I look at it.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
TFR said:
Thanks for your help I may repost after I look at it.
Please do! If nothing else, i'd be interested in commission and other numbers, and paint and trim colors, to add to my Database! And please feel free to share photos and ask questions.

Please allow me to chime in. I would be interested in knowing if there are brass tags somewhere on the body (probably on the bulkhead in the engine compartment) similar to those on sidescreen TR's.
numbers.jpg

Country flag
We have a Triumph 10 Estate wagon my Father drove to work for years. He upgraded it but did use only Triumph parts. It has 1500 Spit engine and trans. Disk brakes from Spitfire. Differental is from TR4A and has wire wheels, 13" on front and 15" on the back. Probably the only TR10 in the world with wire wheels. He wanted to put an o/d in it but didn't want to cut the trans cover. Car can be put back original easy if someone wanted to. For now it stays like it is.

Marv

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
mrv8q said:
There's a guy in our club who has one, kinda slow, but he like's the 45 MPG.

heck, Id restore it just to put decals over it

"My old jalopy gets better gas mileage than your brand new hybrid!"

...probably faster than a prius too. I dont know what kinda torque they have, but when 18 wheelers are blowing their doors off from a stop, its too slow

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Remember, this is a design that dates back to the early 1950s in England and largely predated the Motorways of Merry Ole' as well as the Interstates of the US. Cars like these are at their *best* in cities and towns, or at 45-50 mph on country lanes and two-lane state highways. Yes, they'll cruise all day @ 60-65 mph, but that's not the ideal environment.

They can be "upgraded" to some degree (Marv, your car sounds intriguing!), but it's still a nearly 60-year-old design!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
But Don, there is nothing sweeter than the sound of new Hybrid winding through the gears on a country lane on a crisp summer night. Just put into in "D" and let it rip!!!

Windows down, radio off, nothing but sweetly tuned single exhaust and the eventual HUMMMMMMMMMMMM. Oh what a feeling.............

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Andrew Mace said:
Remember, this is a design that dates back to the early 1950s in England and largely predated the Motorways of Merry Ole' as well as the Interstates of the US. Cars like these are at their *best* in cities and towns, or at 45-50 mph on country lanes and two-lane state highways. Yes, they'll cruise all day @ 60-65 mph, but that's not the ideal environment.

They can be "upgraded" to some degree (Marv, your car sounds intriguing!), but it's still a nearly 60-year-old design!

So? Most "fuel efficient" vehicles get crap on the highway anyway. If the bulk of your driving was on the highway, you wouldnt get a hybrid. You think all those hybrid SUVs are driving outta state several times a year for vacation? Heck no! Id never drive a car like that on the highway anyway unless I absolutely had to. At that speed, to have any moron with a cell phone brush up against me, well, that wouldnt end well.

Brosky said:
But Don, there is nothing sweeter than the sound of new Hybrid winding through the gears on a country lane on a crisp summer night. Just put into in "D" and let it rip!!!

Windows down, radio off, nothing but sweetly tuned single exhaust and the eventual HUMMMMMMMMMMMM. Oh what a feeling.............

Hate that sound... ...or lack there of. It bothers me when youre coasting or at a stop that the engine shuts off. I have this huge fear that my car has died, and Im stranded.