Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I have replaced rear axle hubs by freezing the axle and heating the hub - goes together nicely - what about replacing the bearing - can I heat the bearing and cool the shaft and expect a favorable result - any thoughts - Midnight
I just went through this. I wanted to pre-grease the bearing before installation so heating was really out of the question. Reading the manual it says to use appropriate size tube/pipe to install bearing to the axle. I pressed off the bearing to remove it, but installing it only took a couple of light taps. I held the axle in some soft jaws in my vise and overall it was pretty straightforward. YMMV
Pete
Getting it apart is the problem. I used this tool and a 50 ton press. And heat. It came apart with a bang.
Went back together without any problem. I seem to recall the nut requiring a great deal of torque.
thanks - I froze the axle and warmed the bearing - slipped right on - I grease the bearing with it on the axle - Yes the hub nut takes serious torque - midnight
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.