• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1957 comments

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
1642025954635.png

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In some dim, dark synapse connection I recall cigarette vending machines would take a quarter and the pack would have three pennies wrapped in the cellophane cover. I used to get the pennies. Sometime before 1957.

1957?! Tired of the $0.50 haircuts, Dad got Wahl clippers (the same as the barber used), gave brother and I our haircuts at home. "Flat tops". Just remembered: BUTCH WAX!! :cool:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Boys will be wearing their hair as long as girls huh? Mine's longer than many girls wear theirs.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Walt, I can guarantee you that there wasnโ€™t a male teacher in my high school whose hair was longer than any girls hair in 1957. B-)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Walt, I can guarantee you that there wasnโ€™t a male teacher in my high school whose hair was longer than any girls hair in 1957. B-)
In 2021 girls at school will ask me for hair care tips.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
1957, the year we got married in Miami Oklahoma! To those who don't know, locals pronounce it Miama as with an "a". :thumbsup2:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Plus, remember these haircuts! Flat top with ducktails! :thumbsup2:
flat top with Ducktail.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
1957, the year we got married in Miami Oklahoma! To those who don't know, locals pronounce it Miama as with an "a". :thumbsup2:
Considering that Miami is where the Miami tribe is located and we pronounce the name the same as the tribe I'd say that we pronounce it correctly and that the folks in Florida pronounce it incorrectly.

On a side note if you've seen the new Steve Martin and Martin Short show "Only Murders in the Building," in the first episode the podcast they are listening to mispronounces the town I teach in, Chickasha as Chickasaw.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Miami, Miama; Missouri, Missoura...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In โ€˜57 I was probably wearing my Davy Crockett hat.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
At work,they played Arlo Guthrie's "Coming into Los Angeles".
That got me to thinking - "What if they played Elvis's songs in the grocery-
stores in the '50's?
They probably would have had mothers grabbing their kids & heading
out the door,later complaining to the manager that they'd never shop there
again.
How times have changed.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"How times have changed."

Back in the 1950s, I don't remember background music in anything beside department stores and elevators.

Remember Muzak and its "stimulus progression"?

Country flag
Speaking of time changing, Saw part of an old Jetsons episode the other day on a classic TV channel. They were celebrating Jane's 33rd birthday, and having trouble with their 16yo daughter Judy. Got to thinking, Jane Jetson was a high school teen bride based on those numbers. If it was made today, bet she'd be 40 or maybe more.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Speaking of time changing, Saw part of an old Jetsons episode the other day on a classic TV channel. They were celebrating Jane's 33rd birthday, and having trouble with their 16yo daughter Judy. Got to thinking, Jane Jetson was a high school teen bride based on those numbers. If it was made today, bet she'd be 40 or maybe more.
George must have met her on a certain island in the Caribbean. :alien:

Country flag
I just thought it was amusing how times had changed and you wouldn't suggest these days outside a period piece that the wife was a high school sophomore when having a first child.