• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 1953 MG TD Reassembly - CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Don't forget me...please.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bet I'm gonna have enough for both of you!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Goody, goody, goody. I don't need much just looking for a few used parts to put on the old girl and whatever should be new for saftey.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Moving right along...the rear fenders are now hung (& the piping between fenders & body is painted Sequoia Creme!):

rfdr01.JPG

rfdr03.JPG

When we finished for the day, I was assembling the new strips onto the running boards...in the photo below, the left board is finished; the right board still needs 2 holes drilled in each long strip before the rubber pads go on:

rfdr04.JPG

...& when I got home, UPS had delivered my new rear bumper blade...so, tomorrow it goes on along with some interior pieces that must be installed next. The easiest way to build a car like this is to do the interior as you progress on the body as some of it has to be in place prior to door hardware installation...so, tomorrow, we do the rear part of the interior.

...& to do so, late this afternoon I chased wood screws!! 9 stainless 8x1-1/2" wood screws are needed to hold the rear top rails to the body tub so we can install the vinyl covering & permanently mount the gas tank! Finally found them in stainless at an old hardware store in downtown Huntsville...when this whole thing is finished, bet I'll know the size/type of every fastener that goes in a TD

WHEW!!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Looks Awesome!. I have an xcell spreadsheet somewhere 'round of all bolts & screws used on the TD. I think I got it from Dave Dubois.

V

vagt6

Very exciting, it's going to be a real looker, Tony.

It's exiting just to be near a restoration effort, even if it's in cyberspace. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Stuff like this compels me to get another project car. Please stop! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cryin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No photos today but got the following done:

= running boards assembled & ready to hang
= doors assembled & ready to hang
= new rear bumper bar installed
= started upholstery on rear tub surround
= chased holes in the wood of the doors & tub 'B' posts for door hinges, installed door rubber bumpers

.....lots of stuff that doesn't make for exciting photos!

Also decided to disassemble windshield frame & send it out to be rechromed. If I didn't, it'd be the only piece of chrome that wasn't new or rechromed!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Lots done today (I think):

1. Rear bumper finished &, you'll notice, we've started covering & installing the wooden rear body tub surround with the interior fabric:

tddoor02.JPG

2. Doors hung:

tddoor01.JPG

3. & door panels installed (we'll paint the new hinge screws after everything is finished when we go around doing any touchups needed):

tddoor03.JPG

tomorrow we'll install the door latches/handles & continue work on the interior piping & panels.

WOO HOO! I can see the end of the tunnel....

Steve_S

Yoda
You're starting to scare me. This car WILL be driven a lot, right? I don't want to see it sit in your garage! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hehehehe....Jerri stopped by the bodyshop today to see it...

"You're building a new car, aren't you, Tony?"

"Yep, but when Will
(our 14 month old grandson) is ready to buy a new house, this car will make one helluva down payment!"

"Well, you'll be long gone by then so I won't let him sell it."
she retorted with a straight face.

Note: I am looking at an enclosed trailer to use when taking it to car shows.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'm not going there.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Note: I am looking at an enclosed trailer to use when taking it to car shows.

NOOOOOO!!! Real M.G.s get driven! You know you don't want a trailer queen! [/QUOTE]

Steve - would you drive a TD from Gurley, AL to Newburgh, IN - on the interstate - 288 miles - to a car show?

Not me, I'm gonna trailer her those distances!

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
I've been promising myself that I wouldn't look at the 'progress' pics. I couldn't help it. Man, that is beautiful.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
With an A/C where it will live all the time I hope.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Note: I am looking at an enclosed trailer to use when taking it to car shows.

NOOOOOO!!! Real M.G.s get driven! You know you don't want a trailer queen!

Steve - would you drive a TD from Gurley, AL to Newburgh, IN - on the interstate - 288 miles - to a car show?

Not me, I'm gonna trailer her those distances![/QUOTE]

I think he's done longer drives in his T-series...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
All us old guys just love A/C in the summer. We also listen to the radio and chat with the wife inroute. And even better the little car arrives clean. Well mostly.

beachbumbarry

Tony, is the wood (timbers) all orginal or did you replace some? What did you use to preserve the wood? There is some wood epoxy by Abatron that, they say, is good for filling in rotted wood. I am replacing a bunch of wood on my 51 and some I would just like to repair the rotted ends. Has anyone tried to repair rotted wood in a MG-TD? What is a good preservitive? Why am I even going through all this trouble? I could just buy a Ford stationwagon and call it good. Sit home an watch TV. - - It's just a Joke.
BarryE

Steve_S

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Steve - would you drive a TD from Gurley, AL to Newburgh, IN - on the interstate - 288 miles - to a car show?[/QUOTE]

No, I'd take the scenic route and visit a few states along the way. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

I just got home two weeks ago from a 2,300 mile trip to a car show in Utah and back in our TC. The weather was 110-degrees through Valley of Fire, Nevada. Elevation ranged from sea level to well over 9,000-feet. The car didn't complain once, nor did it complain when we drove 2,500+ miles to Mount Hood, Oregon last Summer. We placed second in the car show after driving to Utah, but the trophy was meaningless compared to the journey itself.

M.G.s aren't collector's items, they are driver's cars! 288 miles is just a warm-up for a TD. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I love this picture:

tddoor01.JPG

Table's slowly getting emptied of small stuff, hanging items are going on car....I'm basically doing everything I can while waiting for the rechromed grile to get back to me so I can install the front fenders.

....& my list of extra new & used stuff is growing (I may have to find another for all the extra parts!).