• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 1952 MG TD2 Title from the USA

Leew

I am buying and importing a 52 MG TD2 from the USA from a trusted friend whom I have bought cars through previously
He is applying for a duplicate title document as the original was llost and the car only has California reg documents up to 1994
He tells me in the 1950's in the USA most title documents would show the engine number as the cars authentication details
However he does say it may be possible, given it is to all intents and purposes a new title that is being issued, he may be able to list the Car Number i.e. TD / C ------ on the title
Any ideas if the DVLA in the UK would make it difficult to register if the USA title showed the Engine number XPAG TD ----- rather than the car number on the title?
Ta
Lee

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Most T series cars I know of had the chassis number registered on a title, not the engine number. But, saying that, when these cars were new, many USA dealers screwed up the titles as to dates, proper registration numbers and some taken from the wrong plates. The chassis number can not be changed without a lot of work, that's the best identification one can get. PJ

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
None of my vehicles use the motor number for registration.....even the ones that I have imported from the UK.
The UK log book does note the engine number in it.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I've seen quite a few MG Ts and my Xk 120 uses the engine number . It was popular in Michigan for some reason. Call Steve Baker . I sold him a TC that had the engine number on the title . He didn't think it was a big deal.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
He is referring to Cali registrations. Not sure what other states do....I wish it was all standardized through out the USA.

D

Deleted member 8987

The statement is correct in that "in the 1950's in the USA most title documents would show the engine number as the cars authentication details" Of course, depends on your definition of "most".
Big problem when an engine gets changed...but due to early theft of engines (and the story I heard as a kid...people drove to the moving picture theater, parked the car, locked it, went in...came out, car wouldn't start....opened hood and there was no engine) they tried to track engine numbers. I know Ford engine/trans numbers were gone....let me think....either just after WWII or for the 1949 model year.
My 1949 Willys....engine number, and when the engine went to landfill, this state has a workaround (or did) to fix it.
I think California stopped in the early 50's doing engine numbers on titles...but if it's an original title, who knows.

Jim B.

Country flag
Yes, there are many MG' that have the engine number on the title.
My TD was never titled until a year or so ago. I started restoration in 1969, in Florida. At that time FL was not a title state.
When did a title search we found an MG out west titled with the same number as my chassis but without the preceding "TD".
Mine went through as TD#####

D

Deleted member 8987

Yes, there are many MG' that have the engine number on the title.
My TD was never titled until a year or so ago. I started restoration in 1969, in Florida. At that time FL was not a title state.
When did a title search we found an MG out west titled with the same number as my chassis but without the preceding "TD".
Mine went through as TD#####

You never know the oddball stuff that happens. Maybe somebody had a TD without title or ID plate...bought a new blank plate, searched for a car that wasn't listed anywhere (like sitting in Florida) and used those numbers.

I know a guy in SC who is into Jags and JCNA. He has scrapped a few (several?) 140's, 150's...so badly rotted as to be beyond any hope, saved the drivetrain bits...and the VIN plates, VIN, chassis, engine, trans numbers...still has the plates...and there are 140's and 150's now "out west" titled with those numbers...and he has the plates...and he scrapped the cars. Go figure.