• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1950 Prefect Starter

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I just realized while manhandling the starter, how will the starter react to a 12 volt NEG GRND? From the looks of the starter it will handle 12 volts but the positive to negative might be a problem.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think the 12 volts will be all right as long as you don't have to grind for extended time. I have jumped 6 volt cars many times over the years with no problems. The starter on my Prefect came with the 12 volt positive ground '58 Prefect motor. It works fine on negative ground. You will have to repolarize the generator though. It is a simple operation but I never remember exactly how to do it. I always have to look it up.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I have been doing my best to set up for 12V then I am thwarted by some quirk of Positive or Negative, I ordered the electronic ign which is 6 V Negative Ground then found out they make a 12V Negative Ground so I had to take a step back and a step sideways. Then the starter came to mind and I know a 6V will take 12 as long as you do not hang on it, again I came to the Positive/Negative Ground and will it work or spin backwards and I have to thank you for the info. I would stay with 6V but there is a problem getting 6V lamps, I have already paid for another car with the exchange rate in Britain. I am looking into the later cars with the 12V starter. I have the engine ready to fire up but for a carb kit and fuel pump kit, will be so happy when I can get away from the grease especially the old grease. Take care and thanks

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Are you saying the generator will produce 12 volts if I polarize it?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
No no. Although your starter should work on 12 volts, you will have to get a 12 volt generator. A good generator shop would be able to rewind yours for 12 but it would be a lot more expensive than just replacing it. Mine came with the motor and was already 12 v. You always have to repolarize the generator when you change the polarity, ie. pos to neg earth.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Called the local auto electric and he told me that a starter is rather dumb and they do not care if it is 6 or 12 only thing that will happen is the spring that forces the Bendix back will break due to the increased torque and when it does I bring it in and they have some type of gizmo to replace the spring

Attachments

• DSCF0457.JPG
    DSCF0457.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 69

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Called the local auto electric and he told me that a starter is rather dumb and they do not care if it is 6 or 12 only thing that will happen is the spring that forces the Bendix back will break due to the increased torque and when it does I bring it in and they have some type of gizmo to replace the spring
Depending on the design you can also break the starter drive gear with the extra torque.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I was thinking about looking into reducing the voltage just a tad only problem will be keeping the amperage up, old cars what a pain my dad is getting even with me in his dust pile

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
This just showed up on Kijiji (like Craigslist)

seems like extra parts

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
.Who me! too much wrong with the car once some starts to hot rod it the value to me is maybe $500.. No running boards, I think the rockers are gone looks kind of different has rust, are ALL the parts there including nuts and bolts it is a gamble. I have to date $4600.00 and I got the car for free so with the asking price and the money to get it going it is over $8000.00 and the car in perfect condition is only worth * grand. What really hurts is the exchange rate of $4600.00 about $600.00 is the exchange rate. From what I have learned is that for new parts Small Spares is the only place to shop $36.00 to ship DHL and it takes 4 days. There are a couple Anglia dealers that I am able to get used parts from and the price is right. I sourced a really nice grille from England that cost $350.00 delivered, Spent $165.00 for a back seat bottom and 2 door glass used just one door glass new from a template is $130.00 bought front and rear bumpers for $60.00.
I have only had one snafu from the Spare Parts and they remedied it fast. I am changing a couple of items, I am adding a remote oil filter adapter and a 12-volt water pump. Was going to go with electronic ignition but I got rather screwed on that deal which cost me a bit over $200.00 to find out it will not fit my distributor there exciter ring is 16.32mm in dia and my shaft is 18.32mm. The instructions say it is a tight fit, and the manufacturer told me it would fit and now they are giving me the run around. This car has not seen daylight since 1963 and never was in a winter road cond as it does not have a heater.
Time for bed
Stay Healthy