• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire 1500 Spitfire Windshield Glass, Gasket and Install

Flatlander

Country flag
I am replacing my windshield gasket and wanted to also add the chrome windshield trim. I had read several articles on the proper order and came up with the following options and my experience to date with each:

1. Install the chrome trim prior to installing windshield. (I did this and am having problems installing the windshield into the car. I am using the "rope" method and either due to the relative rigidity of the gasket with the trim installed or the small size of the interior lip of the gasket I cannot seem to fit the windshield with gasket to the body.)

2. Utilize a metal trim section in lieu of the plastic version. (I had mixed success with this recommendation. The metal trim cross section is tighter and more rigid than that of the plastic one. I tried to install the gasket to the windshield then the metal trim to that (outside of the car body) but the cross section of the metal piece made it impossible to insert into the gasket. So I took the gasket off the windshield, inserted the metal trim piece then put both onto the windshield. This worked well and the metal trim snapped tightly to the gasket but I am afraid this tight fit restricts my ability to install on the car.)

My next thought is to start over and install the gasket and windshield into the car, then try installing the plastic version of the trim into the gasket, hoping the gasket without the trim attached has the flexibility to be installed into the car.

Any ideas/thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

dklawson

Yoda
I followed Paul Tegler's method of fitting the trim (stainless in my case) to the gasket first. It took a while and required that I use tape every couple of inches to keep the trim installed as I moved to the next spot.

I also used the rope method. You need one or two helpers, heavy cord (5/32" diameter or larger) and a lubricant (I used KY Jelly).

Once you have fit the metal trim, fit the rubber to the glass.

I used mason's line (similar to a lawn mower pull cord) for my rope. You wrap it around the rubber seal in the body opening channel. Start at the top and wrap around to the bottom, overlapping the ends of the cord by about 2 feet. Be sure to leave enough additional cord that you can grab the ends tightly. Apply the KY (or other lube) to the rubber and the sheet metal opening.

Place the bottom edge of the rubber over the bottom of the windshield opening in the body. Have a helper apply gentle downward pressure as you pull the cord into the passenger compartment. The rubber will roll over the body opening and into the passenger compartment. Alternate sides as you work the rope out. This is where two helpers are better.

Use plastic putty knives or spatulas to reposition any of the rubber that doesn't go where it was supposed to. Expect that through man-handling, some of the trim lifts up a bit on the rubber seal. Gently work the trim back into the seal using whatever tool seems appropriate but be careful with screwdrivers and such as you don't want to damage the paint, rubber, or you.

OP
F

Flatlander

Country flag
Thanks for the input. I was able to place the trim (stainless) onto the gasket using only my hands and having my wife support the excess gasket and trim so it didn't pull itself out by it's own weight. I was surprised how relatively easy this aspect was once I stumbled on the way to twist the gasket. Following this step I then placed it on the windshield and this is where I am at.

The problem I am having now is trying to get the windshield and gasket to conform to the shape of the car and to get the lip of the gasket to pull over the tab of the car, since it seems rather small (about 1/4 inch). I am going to take some photos and try to load them onto the forum. If you could look at them and give me an indication that the gasket cross section and fit of the windshield is consistent with what you remember. Maybe I need to just apply more pressure to the windshield as I install it but I wanted to get some indication that there isn't something else out of whack (such as a defective or misdesigned gasket).

Thanks,
Gary

OP
F

Flatlander

Country flag
Do the gaps and size of tabs on gasket look consistent with your experience? In my initial attempt the tabs looked too small to cover the space needed to go over the metal tabs on the car. I was concerned about pressing too hard on the windshield til I knew if I was on the right track.

gslien

gslien

gslien

gslien

ScottTR6

Only cost me $40 to have a local glass shop do my install. Done right the first time, guaranteed no breakage :smile:

hondo402000

Darth Vader
your on the right track just use soapy water on the interior portion of the rubber gasket, the hard part is getting the bottom part of the gasket started over the lip of the windscreen frame, its easier if you have someone put pressure on the windscreen from the outside, thats started while you then pull on the string working the gasket over the lip, and the person helping has to move pressure as you pull the gasket over the frame, once you get to far along it will kind of hold its self in amd once you get around the bottom to the side you can pull on the string and use your other hand to work the outside, get the gasket over the frame all across the bottom first then work up the sides around the top corners on each side and finish the top last

you might have to make several attempts but once you get the feel it gets easy, and once you over come the fear of breaking the glass you will be done.

Hondo

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I just installed a windscreen in my MK 2 Spit. Everything went according to the book/articles I had read. The weather here has been warm, mid 70's, so I'm sure that helped with fitting the gasket over the windscreen frame. Just make sure your windscreen is centered over the frame and take your time. Good luck.

OP
F

Flatlander

Country flag
Can't figure out how to upload photos yet but spent the afternoon working on the windshield. I am convinced Doug that your approach is the way to go (ie place trim on prior to installing windshield). I went the other route this afternoon and putting the windshield in wasn't difficult but the trim piece is a bear. I would get one side started then unable to proceed further without something popping out. So using my experience from putting the windshield in this afternoon I intend to start over tomorrow put in the trim then install the windshield.

Thanks for the help,

Gary

OP
F

Flatlander

Country flag
Success!! Took about two hours to go through the whole process. From my experience the keys are:

Stainless steel trim
New gasket
Place trim on gasket then onto windshield
Install into windshield frame

Tried it both ways but was not able to install trim after windshield was installed into car. It was easy to put trim into gasket with windshield due to the ability to twist gasket to match trim. Stainless steel trim is tighter fit and better matches windshield contour.

Thanks for everyones help!

Gary