• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1500 midget carb replacement

bcbug

Freshman Member
I have a 76 Midget. I want to replace the standard carburator. Any suggestions besides a weber?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
HS4 SU or H144 - I did and I love it!!!

If you go the HS4 route (as I did) get the rear carb from an MGB - 10 minutes with a file and it fits

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
+1...

Single HS4 is the way to go. Uses the same manifold and all. (The Brit-spec dual SUs for the 1500 need the hard-to-find manifold to match, and there are some minor clearance issues with the inner fender.)

If I hadn't've already chucked my Zenith for a Weber, I'd've gone the HS4 route. The Weber isn't <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> bad; but it's not British.

dklawson

Yoda
John-Peter, the HS4 is the 1-1/2" carb. The HIF44 (44mm) is a larger 1-3/4" carb. Did you mean HS4 and/or HIF38 (38mm)?

John-Peter and Bill... what needle are you running in the HS4 carb? Surely the standard MGB needle will be too lean when running a single carb on a 1500. An MGB running duals means each carb would have a needle sized to support about 900cc, not the 1500cc of a late Midget or Spitfire.

I've installed a single HS4 on my project '72 Spit but I know I'm going to be going to a richer needle than what I have... perhaps an AAA needle.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
dklawson said:
John-Peter, the HS4 is the 1-1/2" carb. The HIF44 (44mm) is a larger 1-3/4" carb. Did you mean HS4 and/or HIF38 (38mm)?

John-Peter and Bill... what needle are you running in the HS4 carb? Surely the standard MGB needle will be too lean when running a single carb on a 1500. An MGB running duals means each carb would have a needle sized to support about 900cc, not the 1500cc of a late Midget or Spitfire.

I've installed a single HS4 on my project '72 Spit but I know I'm going to be going to a richer needle than what I have... perhaps an AAA needle.

So, if you need to see the chart here it is https://tinyurl.com/y9vowwj

Basically an HS4 and a H144 are both usable. I only have experience with the HS4 and it works fine. The needle I have is size 5 - (I know but it's an old carb hence only one number) and somewhere Hap endorsed this size as usable. works fine for me. The book that I have borrowed on SU carbs suggests a needle size of ABT. I've also seen the AAA suggested but I don't know why. Don't know what else to add except to say so far so good with mine.

there are also computer programs you can use

winSu springs to mind

dklawson

Yoda
Thanks John-Peter. I haven't seen that chart before and have been relying on books and verbal recommendations. Various people who claim experience and/or have the WinSU computer program have suggested the ABT and the AAA needles. That never made sense to me as I've seen the AAA needle recommended for single carb applications ranging from 998cc to 1500cc. I just don't understand how one needle and .090" jet HS4 can cover that much range.

I'll look up the profiles of the 5, ABT, and AAA and see which profile looks most promising compared to what I have now. I appreciate your suggestion and also your mentioning that Hap likes the "5".

Thanks again.

FYI
My twin carb set up came with ABT needles. seem to work just fine.

mark

dklawson

Yoda
SilentUnicorn said:
FYI
My twin carb set up came with ABT needles. seem to work just fine.
mark

Well that's the sort of thing I find confusing. I know the 1500s sometimes are outfitted with the Euro-spec twin HS4s. If you have two HS4 carbs feeding a 1500, I don't see how the same needle can still be the appropriate choice when you have a single carb on the same engine. However, I guess it all depends on the piston lift for a given engine speed.

I forgot that I had the link below bookmarked. It may be of interest to some of you. It's a program where you key in your SU needle number after selecting the carb type. You can enter up to 5 different needles and it will graphically show you their profile relative to one another. It gives you an idea how rich or lean needles are relative to each other. For example, the #5 and the AAA needles are actually identical for the first 5/8" of their profile after which the #5 needle will run a bit leaner. Of course... the #5 is a fixed mount needle while the AAA is a spring loaded needle. But you can still compare them.

https://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle/

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Considering it's replacing a Zenith, you could run with a paper clip and it would still be an improvement. :jester:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
bthompson said:
Considering it's replacing a Zenith, you could run with a paper clip and it would still be an improvement. :jester:

now now, paper clips are notoriously difficult to tune, in part because they are very difficult to mount tightly and correctly unless you attach the proper paper gasket, and, they run very lean - too much air getting through. :yesnod:

dklawson

Yoda
This '72 Spit is my first exposure to the "late" style ZS carbs... there IS another style.

On my '67 GT6 there are a pair of EARLY ZS carbs. They do NOT adjust the needle from above and they do NOT have a bunch of emissions air bleed things on the side. The early ZS CD carbs (CD2 ?) are VERY much like a melding of the SU HS and HIF series. They have fixed needles, jets that adjust from below, and an integrated float bowl.

When I heard people complaining about Strombergs I didn't understand it since the GT6 carbs were SO much like the HS2s and HS4s I'd worked with. Then... I bought the Spitfire and it was all clear to me.

The links below are not to my carbs but to someone else's early GT6. Note that the brass adjusting nuts for the jets are visible below the integrated float bowls. Those are GREAT carbs. I've been very pleased with them on our GT6 and I wish the design had been retained by ZS.

https://www.sportssix.info/images/blog/manifolds/orig.jpg

and the link below is a bottom view of a 175 CD2 carb

https://www.naimy.net/forsale/images/175%20CD-2%20STROMBERG%20SIDE%20DRAFT%20CARB.%20002.jpg

In short, not all ZS carbs are the same... or bad.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Doug said:
In short, not all ZS carbs are the same... or bad.

I agree, almost. My beef is with the diaphragms, they're expected to last in a hostile environment. I get that they're eliminating the height issue with SU's but I think I'd take a hood "bump" and SU's over the ZedS given the option.

dklawson

Yoda
I don't think the Strombergs are really that much shorter Doc. The dashpot knob of the Stromberg ends up being almost as tall as that on the SU in the end. I think when you throw the air cleaner/filter housing into the equation the Strombergs end up being a bit shorter though.

Regarding the diaphragms, I have yet to have one fail but everyone has told me that the new ones aren't made the same as they used to be. If the new ones are coming from China I certainly can understand the problems people are having with them. A buddy of mine prefers the Strombergs because in his eyes, when the diaphragm fails you know what's wrong and can easily fix it yourself (his words, not mine).

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
I removed the Zenith Stromberg and went with the Weber 32/36 carb with a Fuel King in line fuel regulator and gauge. I loved it and the car ran great.

tweety

Jedi Trainee
Now I really want rid of my Zenith.....

I have a '79, CA car. I don't think the Governator allows any changes like this.....

So every two years I would have to put the Zenith on, get it to pass smog and then put the SU back on?

There was a single SU on Ebay earlier this week, I think it went to $50. I was too cheap to bid any higher. I'll probably regret it.

dklawson

Yoda
I was watching that auction also since the carb looked so incredibly clean. $50 looked like a steal for one in that condition.

losmorob

Jedi Hopeful
tweety said:
Now I really want rid of my Zenith.....

I have a '79, CA car. I don't think the Governator allows any changes like this.....

So every two years I would have to put the Zenith on, get it to pass smog and then put the SU back on?

There was a single SU on Ebay earlier this week, I think it went to $50. I was too cheap to bid any higher. I'll probably regret it.

Yup. You can't even do the single SU. And, coming soon for '76 and newer cars...YEARLY smog checks. Cha-ching revenue generator.

dklawson

Yoda
Out of curiosity, would a CA inspection officer know the difference between a single Stromberg and a single SU?