Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm going to pull the 79' 1500 engine soon and need good instructions on rebuilding it. Haynes doesn't quite cut it. I have rebuilt a couple of engines years back, Chevy and Ford, but never an MG.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Spitbits in California is a good source for 1500 parts that many of the other suppliers don't carry. I used them when I needed some large manifold hold down ears. Good price and fast shipping.
One thing I did not do when I rebuilt my 1500 that I regret was replace the stock cam with an early Spit cam. The stock cam on a 1500 is installed without bearings. I am told, the early Spit cam bearings will fit right into the stock journals in the 1500 block. Spitbits has a great deal on the early spit cam:
If you do not want to go this route, you may also consider having your machine shop bore your block for custom bearings. I have no idea how much this will cost. And I would not recommend you have just any machine shop attempt this procedure.
You've already gotten a lot of good advice above. The only thing I would like to add is that you may want to parallel this post in the Triumph section of this board. As was suggested via the posts above, the Midget 1500 is a Triumph engine and you're likely to get lots of good advice from those in the Triumph forum. In particular you'll find information on pinning those thrust washers in place.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.