• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100M that sold on Bring-a-Trailer aka BaT

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Quite honestly its still too high a price for what is after all a 'run out' production model. A BN2 with some bolt ons. 100Ms used to be worth about 10%-15% more than a normal 100 until they were hyped up to crazy levels. The price is based on the 'bigger fool' theory. Nice car though.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Quite honestly its still too high a price for what is after all a 'run out' production model. A BN2 with some bolt ons. 100Ms used to be worth about 10%-15% more than a normal 100 until they were hyped up to crazy levels. The price is based on the 'bigger fool' theory. Nice car though.

True enough, but don't underestimate the value of cachet. That, and the fact the car actually spent time at DHMC (maybe DMH actually touched it!).

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Quite honestly its still too high a price for what is after all a 'run out' production model. A BN2 with some bolt ons. 100Ms used to be worth about 10%-15% more than a normal 100 until they were hyped up to crazy levels.

The price is based on the 'bigger fool' theory. Nice car though.

OR! For every Arse there is a seat!!.:highly_amused:

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
I watched to the bitter end as well, and did expect close to $200k. Maybe not having good-looking girls plying you with alcohol, and not having Dana Mecum in your face make a difference!

Coincidentally, this morning's Hagerty email had a list of the current Top 25, and Bottom 25 cars (in terms of tracking with the current market craziness):

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vi...t=&utm_campaign=Hagerty Weekly News 7-27-2016

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vi...t=&utm_campaign=Hagerty Weekly News 7-27-2016

Guess where the Healeys are? But they're in some good company. I've said before, and I'll say it again, I believe that Hagerty and most of the TV shows and auctions, hype the market! I do use Hagerty, and am very pleased with their service and attitude (but YMMV, just an opinion, not an endorsement, no financial interest, etc).

Oh, and on BaT, there is a stock, restored, bare-bones Datsun 510 that is currently at almost $30k. Sometimes, I just don't get it...

This does not alter my restoration plans, because the value is still there, and I want the car (but unfortunately, my body-not the car's- may have other plans). Jim

Last edited:

CraigC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I wonder if he replaced the BN1/early BN2 rear fenders (as shown in the "before" pic) with correct late BN2 fenders during the resto?

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My contacts in the 100M mafia are also surprised that it (a) sold at such a low price and (b) that the reserve wasn't higher than that. The restorer is a very knowledgable, very meticulous guy who did it to the Concours Standards; you'd be very hard-pressed to find a better one or one in better colors.

Personally I've been predicting a significant "adjustment" in 100M prices (a) since there is so much fiddling/fudging/forging of the model and (b) because the performance difference between a 100M and a standard 100 is insignificant at the speeds we use these cars (brisk touring at most).

In any case, the seller may have been smart to take the money and run because the market for them (and other big Healeys) appears to be on the way down and we're unlikely to see a significant upswing for a long time, if ever. Of course, there are always outliers.

At least that's my market opinion, and I've predicted 29 of the last 5 market downturns.

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I also watched the 100M on BAT. It did not seriously tempt me as, with BAT fees, dollar exchange, taxes, and shipping, the price would have come to about a quarter million.

On a related topic, I'm wondering whether anyone on the forum knows this car:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Austin-Hea...1d11ed43:g:RFwAAOSwhOVXcxSJ&item=172286405955

It seems that someone took the Buy it Now option last time around, but then backed out of the deal. I may be in the market for a 100-4, and this one tempts me. But one would need more info and/or examine it closely before taking the leap. One obvious issue is the misalignment of the bottom of the grille.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I thought the low-mileage 'survivor' M Wayne Carini 'found' and sold at auction (R&M, IIRC) went low (and Wayne thought so, too). It appears we've reached the point where fans of Healeys--face it, we're middle-aged, and older, Boomers--have either gotten the car(s) they lusted after in high school or are starting to hang up their car keys altogether. Doesn't matter that much to me--I'll never sell my BJ8 or 100M--but it's always easier making that big parts order when you can say 'Hey, it's worth more than I have in it.'

What concerns me is that as the market for Healeys starts to dry up the parts suppliers and mechanics will go out of business, making the cars less desirable, making the market smaller, and ...

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I thought the low-mileage 'survivor' M Wayne Carini 'found' and sold at auction (R&M, IIRC) went low (and Wayne thought so, too). It appears we've reached the point where fans of Healeys--face it, we're middle-aged, and older, Boomers--have either gotten the car(s) they lusted after in high school or are starting to hang up their car keys altogether. Doesn't matter that much to me--I'll never sell my BJ8 or 100M--but it's always easier making that big parts order when you can say 'Hey, it's worth more than I have in it.'

What concerns me is that as the market for Healeys starts to dry up the parts suppliers and mechanics will go out of business, making the cars less desirable, making the market smaller, and ...

Exactly.

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag

The same thoughts occur to a degree with any older car. However, they still seem to find buyers.

I can tell you that anyone who sees a picture of my 1959 100-6 sure shows interest, and there are several "if you ever want to sell it" comments after only 9 months. Most of these are from people under 50.
Right now the car is on my 17-year-old daughter's "want" list, so even younger people think that they're great cars.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The same thoughts occur to a degree with any older car. However, they still seem to find buyers..---------"YEAH!"

I can tell you that anyone who sees a picture of my 1959 100-6 sure shows interest, and there are several "if you ever want to sell it" comments after only 9 months. Most of these are from people under 50.
Right now the car is on my 17-year-old daughter's "want" list, so even younger people think that they're great cars.

:iagree: