Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
All you have to do is modify the front mounts by cutting out old and welding in new, weld more box section into the boot, change the axle and you can then bolt the leaf springs in place.
You've then got non original (less valuable) car that doesn't handle significantly better than it did to start with.
Or sell the MkII and buy a MKIII or IV - that would be much easier.
I have a roller that had a ford kent in it but never ran for me. I am replacing the crossflow and iron 4spd with a 4age, t50 and narrowed rx7 disc axle. The last 1/4 elliptic sprite I drove rode horribly on the bumpy roads around here and I think my 69 midget rides and handles much more to my liking. Both are in comparable condition including shocks and tires. I especially did not like the snap oversteer.. (and did not like it in the first bugeye I drove in 1969, though it was a revelation in other ways compared the the big healey I owned at the time)
Oddly enough I find myself with a big healey and an early sprite 40 odd years later. Go figure.
A friend suggested a swap to later rear layout while I was at it and told me it was a fairly easy swap. I looked things over as well as I could for two cars sitting on the ground and it looked like it could be anything from a fairly easy swap if the front of the 1/2 elliptic springs would attach to the same front spring mounts to a total nightmare if not.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.