• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1/4 to 1/2 elliptic

pffft

Freshman Member
Hi,
What is involved in swapping mkII sprite to 1/2 elliptics? I have a later sprite donor car.

patrick

Country flag
Why would you want to?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And that folks says it all.

john_j

Jedi Trainee
Agreed - why bother!

All you have to do is modify the front mounts by cutting out old and welding in new, weld more box section into the boot, change the axle and you can then bolt the leaf springs in place.

You've then got non original (less valuable) car that doesn't handle significantly better than it did to start with.

Or sell the MkII and buy a MKIII or IV - that would be much easier.

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Note to self: never ask the BCF about converting 1/4 to 1/2 elliptical...lol

Country flag
There is one valid reason that comes to mind... better ride, and possibly better axle location. But it is a bunch of work for little pay-off IMO.

Country flag
I asked the question "why would you want to", to see if there was an easier solution to what you were wanting to accomplish.

OP
P

pffft

Freshman Member
Thanks Trevor, it IS a very good question.

I have a roller that had a ford kent in it but never ran for me. I am replacing the crossflow and iron 4spd with a 4age, t50 and narrowed rx7 disc axle. The last 1/4 elliptic sprite I drove rode horribly on the bumpy roads around here and I think my 69 midget rides and handles much more to my liking. Both are in comparable condition including shocks and tires. I especially did not like the snap oversteer.. (and did not like it in the first bugeye I drove in 1969, though it was a revelation in other ways compared the the big healey I owned at the time)

Oddly enough I find myself with a big healey and an early sprite 40 odd years later. Go figure.

A friend suggested a swap to later rear layout while I was at it and told me it was a fairly easy swap. I looked things over as well as I could for two cars sitting on the ground and it looked like it could be anything from a fairly easy swap if the front of the 1/2 elliptic springs would attach to the same front spring mounts to a total nightmare if not.

patrick