• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB What do you think?

dpsmgb

Country flag
I decided to redo my 1975 radio and center consoles. The large plastic radio console in my opinion looks terrible but the late 60’s early 70’s have a better look..IMHO..so, I found a radio console, cleaned it up and put it in. I cut the original center portion out from around the gear shift and re contoured the back section where the armrest is. It’s not perfect but it gives me an armrest and a good looking radio console, while giving the ‘75 a more classic, older look.

Attachments

• 935987E0-9734-4E69-9798-78C2449000AD.jpeg
    935987E0-9734-4E69-9798-78C2449000AD.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 73
  • A1585D90-6790-4337-A993-BE472FE72CEA.jpeg
    A1585D90-6790-4337-A993-BE472FE72CEA.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 69

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I think it looks fabulous, but me thinks you posted this in the wrong forum. You posted it in the forum for new members to introduce yourself. But not to worry, I am the all powerful Basil, aka Boss, and can magically move your thread to the correct (MG) forum and give your topic the correct (MGB) prefix. If you are reading this, you are now in the MG forum. I'll leave a "pointer" in the original forum that will expire in one week.

Basil

OP
D

dpsmgb

Country flag
I think it looks fabulous, but me thinks you posted this in the wrong forum. You posted it in the forum for new members to introduce yourself. But not to worry, I am the all powerful Basil, aka Boss, and can magically move your thread to the correct (MG) forum and give your topic the correct (MGB) prefix. If you are reading this, you are now in the MG forum. I'll leave a "pointer" in the original forum that will expire in one week.

Basil
Thanks Basil, greatly appreciated

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well done, looks really nice

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This is effectively what I will end up doing with my B because even though its a 1973 body, everything including the dash and console is being transplanted from a 1970 car, so I'll have the older style center section as well. I intend to leave my inner rockers and door sill panels uncarpeted because I always see rust under the carpet in those areas. I've got nice carpeted floor mats but I don't intend to put down permanant carpet on the floors; that way when they get wet (which the invariably will) I can just take the mats up and let it dry completely. I'd so want to put some kind of carpet/insulation across the drivetrain tunnel though.

OP
D

dpsmgb

Country flag
This is effectively what I will end up doing with my B because even though its a 1973 body, everything including the dash and console is being transplanted from a 1970 car, so I'll have the older style center section as well. I intend to leave my inner rockers and door sill panels uncarpeted because I always see rust under the carpet in those areas. I've got nice carpeted floor mats but I don't intend to put down permanant carpet on the floors; that way when they get wet (which the invariably will) I can just take the mats up and let it dry completely. I'd so want to put some kind of carpet/insulation across the drivetrain tunnel though.
Excellent ideas..mine is strictly a dry day driver. I know everything would eventually get wet and rust again so I’m sticking to short trips in nice weather.
Good luck with the project..keep it simple

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks appropriate for the car. Ours is a '64, so steel dash. I did a replacement for the monaural speaker in the center with additional instruments and switches for cooling fan override, horn switch-over between standard and air horns and under-dash courtesy lighting. Attempted to keep it "period correct".

console4.JPG

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I like the idea of using the old radio spaces for additional switches/instruments. I was planning on 3D printing a bezel inset for where the radio went and mounting extra instrumentation that SHOULD be present but isn't (voltage, oil temp, clock) there. I don't expect to mount a radio - if I want music I'm considering a small amp under the dash next to the wiper motor wired to an 1/8 inch input somewhere in that aforementioned bezel that can have a phone or solid state MP3 player plugged in, maybe with a USB charge port as well. I also need to block off the holes for the face level vents at the firewall since my 1970 dash does not have the vents to plumb to those openings.

OP
D

dpsmgb

Country flag
darn, you’re way ahead of me..I just make it look good and drive it. I would love to live near you and watch your car take shape..best of luck

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Very nice job. It’s a period correct look, with a modern twist.
Did you make your own console?
Yes. Aluminum sheet laminated to 1/8" plywood, countersunk switch holes. Instruments are from Nisonger, a voltmeter and clock. The bolsters are aluminum with laminated closed-cell foam and covered with vinyl matching original material (sourced from Moss). Switch panel wrinkle painted to match dash.

Last edited:
OP
D

dpsmgb

Country flag
Yes. Aluminum sheet laminated to 1/8" plywood, countersunk switch holes. Instruments are from Nisonger, a voltmeter and clock. The bolsters are aluminum with laminated closed-cell foam and covered with vinyl matching original material (sourced from Moss). Switch panel wrinkle painted to match dash.
I want to wrinkle paint my console, what did you use?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Plasti-Kote" brand and Florida sun. Follow the directions exactly or you will find yourself sanding it all down and doing it over... a lesson learned long ago.

OP
D

dpsmgb

Country flag
Looks like Plasti-kote is hard to find. I guess I’ll have find something else..it’s not very visible anyway so any textured paint will suffice.
Thanks for the info

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looks like Plasti-kote is hard to find. I guess I’ll have find something else..it’s not very visible anyway so any textured paint will suffice.
Thanks for the info
I used VHT brand wrinkle finish paint. Advance Auto and AutoZone both carry it. Can be cured in oven, with a heat gun, or hair drier. I actually hung my painted stuff in front of the fireplace (winter time, of course...). Came out great!