• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nissan/Datsun engine swap into a 100/4?

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am about to rescue another basket case Healey 100, sans engine and transmission. It's been hacked too much and would be waaaaay too expensive to do a proper restoration but I can make it into a decent modified/resto mod. I'm ruling out putting in a V8 or V6. Way too much heat in the footwells because of the exhaust pipes.
I want an engine that looks "old school". That's leaves only 4 cylinder engines with carburetors and no plastice engine covers. Right now I'm thinking Nissan 2.0 liter 1974 to 1980 L20B motor. Has enyone on the forum done this swap? Or have a better alternative?

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The past few years I've developed the itch to make an electric 100. Call it the Austin Healey 100E. Adapting a motor to the transmission shouldn't be difficult but fitting in enough batteries could be harder. Companies routinely make kits to electrify VW Beetles though so it shouldn't be any worse than that.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Because electric motors have their maximum torque at zero RPM, a transmission is not required, perhaps freeing us space in the tunnel. Reverse is done electrically.

Csarneson

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Because electric motors have their maximum torque at zero RPM, a transmission is not required, perhaps freeing us space in the tunnel. Reverse is done electrically.
While that is absolutely true it's typically a much easier conversion if you keep the transmission intact. Most conversions of classic vehicles just make an adapter from the motor to the clutch pressure plate. No shifting of the tranny is typically necessary but it can still be done. Because the tranny is kept in the car you don't have to change out the speedometer either.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
A 3 rotor Mazda swap would be really cool. The turbo version puts out 450hp in stock form.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Richard,

Consider a B20 Volvo - they used SU carbs for the old school look and the 1800ES version had a shifter extension on the 4-speed/overdrive that puts the shifter in just the right spot. My buddy had a TF with this set-up and he drove it over 500k miles (his son still has it down in Corvallis). In vintage racing, I've known several that were seriously quick as well as bullet proof - on top of that, you have IPD right there in Portland for performance goodies :smile:.

Dave

crispy

Country flag
If you’re interested in a B20, stop by the garage and take a look under the hood of my 1800S, there’s one in there. I also know a guy who may have a couple in his barn. Shoot me a note offline.

Ian

OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the various suggestions. I like the Volvo engine for its exhaust on the passenger side. But, how heavy is it compared to the Nissan L20B? As an afterthought, the only V8 engine I would consider is the Buick/Rover 215 c.i. aluminum V8 but only if I did not have to cut the foot wells for the exhaust system and there is enough room to shield the foot wells from all that heat.
I am not against using the correct Austin 4 cylinder engine if I could find one in decent shape, at a reasonable price, and does not have a cracked head. But I don't think that is likely to happen.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Fit the Datsun 6 cylinder engine which looks pretty much identical to a Healey 6 cylinder.
OH ! a fella did that long time ago N they almost run him ottah the country. :
Sides a 6 clyn engine ain't gonna fit in a 100/4---☺

LOL

Last edited:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the various suggestions. I like the Volvo engine for its exhaust on the passenger side. But, how heavy is it compared to the Nissan L20B? As an afterthought, the only V8 engine I would consider is the Buick/Rover 215 c.i. aluminum V8 but only if I did not have to cut the foot wells for the exhaust system and there is enough room to shield the foot wells from all that heat.
I am not against using the correct Austin 4 cylinder engine if I could find one in decent shape, at a reasonable price, and does not have a cracked head. But I don't think that is likely to happen.
I think finding and rebuilding a 100 motor will still be less expensive than any of the swaps you are considering. I don't know your level of familiarity with engine swaps and I don't want to talk down to you, but they aren't cheap. If you went with the 215 Buick, you'd still have to rebuild it plus do all the adaptions to the Healey transmission, etc. (If you did decide to go this way, there's a lot of experience with this motor with the MG guys, including the Olds, Pontiac and Rover variations) Fabricating motor mounts, new exhaust systems, gauges, making sure the cooling system is adequate, hooking up the throttle, the list goes on and on with a swap (ask me how I know, lol) About the only good reason I can think of to change an engine in a Healey is to get the extra power that the swap will deliver. (which is an excellent reason AFAIC) If you don't care too much about that, I'd go stock every time.

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Here is a Honda S2000 engine and 6 spd trans in an aluminum bodied BN1 - the 2 litre version has 237 hp and revs to 9000 rpm!

Another suggestion might be an Alfa Twin Cam and 5 speed from a 105 series - very light at 280lbs for the engine...

Attachments

• 8D4FF08A-4E8A-4BE0-AFD7-F5A01DA2715A.jpeg
    8D4FF08A-4E8A-4BE0-AFD7-F5A01DA2715A.jpeg
    769.2 KB · Views: 155
  • C3B85D59-FB67-4995-9877-931DD254B08F.jpeg
    C3B85D59-FB67-4995-9877-931DD254B08F.jpeg
    743.3 KB · Views: 171
  • FD735196-7336-4A68-BB27-48154F31A463.jpeg
    FD735196-7336-4A68-BB27-48154F31A463.jpeg
    885.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 0217DD4A-3E22-4EC3-9D44-00D4EAEE7796.jpeg
    0217DD4A-3E22-4EC3-9D44-00D4EAEE7796.jpeg
    901.4 KB · Views: 162
OP
BoyRacer

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I saw that beautiful all aluminum BN1 with the S2000 at Concave. But that S2000 motor is not my idea of "old school". As for the Alfa suggestion, I have a '76 Alfa Spider Veloce with the 105 twin cam engine and twin Dellorto carbs. It's a sweet motor in my little Alfa but not torquey enough for a Healey transplant.
I've done many engine swaps so that kind of difficulty is not an issue. I want an engine in this Healey with carburetors. Carburetors have the right look and SUs look right in a Healey engine bay. Of course Webers look good too! I'm leaning right now towards the Nissan. It's an overhead cam engine with aluminum head and according to my research it's about 70 or 80 pounds lighter than the Volvo B20 engine.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well :
There might be one other engine swap :
the Daimler 250V8 might also be a n option. ???