• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's This?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I was pulling up the carpet in Baby Blue around the transmission tunnel and came across this hole on the driver's side. The shifter boot is in the top left corner What is the hole for?

DSC_0006 by onyxsax, on Flickr

As far as I can tell, the only purpose for this hole is to allow leaking oil into the passenger compartment. I would presume that there would be no harm in putting a plug on this hole?

Country flag
Isn't that the hole for the transmission mount?

nomad

Yoda
I think it's the hole for greasing the front U-joint. If it is, grease the U-joint, and put a plug in it. If I'm wrong and it doesn't line up with the U-joint and has a bracket inside, Trevor is right and you need to fit a bolt and washers to help keep the transmission mount solid. PITA to fit bolts there.

Kurt.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It is indeed an access hole for the U-joint. It would originally had a plug in there, so go right ahead and replace it with one that fits.

Country flag
Oh, i had in my mind the ujoint hole was lower. I haven't worked on a midget in a while.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks guys!

Country flag
I was embarrasingly off the mark. I guess the ebrake lever should have clued me into the orientation.

nomad

Yoda
Well the E-brake lever tipped me off but I was thinking the access hole was larger. Then i remembered how hard it was to grease the zerk through that hole and figured it had to be!

Kurt.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Almost easier to remove the drive shaft every few years to take care of that job.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Almost easier to remove the drive shaft every few years to take care of that job.

I would agree, as yanking out the seat is a bit of a pain. If I didn't have the seat out to be recovered, I never would have known about the mystery hole. I have a proper plug ordered. I'll hopefully have the interior buttoned back up shortly after the first of the year so I can get to the mechanical work and then take care of some of the exterior cosmetics. I'm