• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wrecked my Miata

GaryBeu

Banned
Well, I had my first wreck in my 67 years on this earth. Hydroplaned in a curve on the highway yesterday and ended up ~sort of~ in a ditch. I high-centered on a stump. Don't know yet what the undercarriage damage is but I'll get her up on jack stands tomorrow and try to find out. I was by myself and no injury. Just a real bummer... 100_6131.jpg100_6133.jpg100_6134.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Good grief. Sure glad you're ok. Here in New England we learn fast, that dry roadway and a light rain cause an extremely slippery surface. The moisture makes the road dust and oil really slick on the asphalt. Heavy rain doesn't do that.

Take care of yourself, and don't overlook any bumps and bruises on your *own* undercarriage.

Tom

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glad you are OK. Looking at that curve I'm betting you aren't the first one to end up in that ditch. Take it slow!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Glad you're okay, though I do question your choice of parking spots. :grin:

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Ouch. Glad you're not damaged except for your pride.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Good to hear ya didn't hurt yourself. It's a shame it looks like the concrete is what stopped ya.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
glad you are safe

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Happy to see you are able to tell us all about it! Sorry it happened, but happy you're ok.

G

Why do I feel like I've seen the middle pic before? Is there another photo with a wreck and a cemetery that I may have seen somewhere else before?

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Just curious as to the brand and model of tires you have on the car. After a "thrill" with my Toyota RAV, I looked up the specs on the OEM tires and found they were rated very poorly in the wet.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ack. Just happy you're not damaged, Gar.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Just curious as to the brand and model of tires you have on the car. After a "thrill" with my Toyota RAV, I looked up the specs on the OEM tires and found they were rated very poorly in the wet.

Tires have about 1,000 miles on them. They're Toyo Extensa AS.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks everyone for your concern. I'm glad that I wasn't hurt and I'm really glad that nothing was coming toward me.

Kellysguy...you may have a point about the cemetery :smile:

I've checked it out as much as I can. The driver's side bumper and tow hook are bent really bad, the oil cooler and radiator are shoved back quite a bit and can't be taken out by me, and the passenger side floor pan is bent REALLY bad. Think this one has to go to a real body shop :(

I spent 45 years driving in Alaska and never wrecked a car on the wet or icy roads. I skid on wet pavement sure is different than skidding on ice !!!

G

Thanks everyone for your concern. I'm glad that I wasn't hurt and I'm really glad that nothing was coming toward me.

Kellysguy...you may have a point about the cemetery :smile:

!!!

Someone ran up into a cemetery, Shelby maybe?