• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Please pass the salt

Basil

Administrator
Boss
For years we have been told of the evils of salt! Many people, as a result, have undertaken low-salt diets, thinking that the less salt the better! There has been general consensus in the scientific community that less salt is better, and as we all know, consensus means it must be so, right? Well, not so fast:

Low-salt Diets Shown to pose health risks

Of course this is just one study, but it was a pretty comprehensive study. As for myself, I try not to over do it with salt (or anything else), but at the same time, I don't want to portage to taste like dish water!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Moderation. It's all about moderation.

Personally, I do not add salt to food but Linda almost always does. Many store-bought foods already have some salt in them and we probably eat out once a week......so I'm sure I'm getting my share of NaCl.

It reminds me of when they thought margarine was "better" than butter. Then research drove opinions back the other way. These days it seems some margarines are better than butter and some are worse.
(say "better than butter" three times fast!) :friendly_wink:

My Dad (now 88) tells me he remembers when smoking was considered "good for the digestion".

And then of course, there's this.....:rolleye:

camels-doctor.jpg

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Another example is when, for decades, the scientific consensus was that ulcers were caused primarily by stress, excess acid and spicy food. When an Australian doctor challenged that notion and suggested it might be due to a bacterial infection, he was nearly drummed out of the profession. Eventually he was proven right and ended up with a Nobel Prize.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Moderation. It's all about moderation.

I always say: Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Another example of this is eggs. For years they were considered just this side of rat poison. Now suddenly the medical profession tells us they're OK after all. (Assuming you don't eat 4 or 5 a day, of course). Heck, even water can kill you if you drink too much.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My dad ate eggs for breakfast every morning for more years than I can remember! Mom wouldn't cook them the way he liked them, so he cooked them himself! He cooked them in about a half inch of pure lard and bacon fat. Oh yeah, he passed away at 90 years old and nothing to do with clogged arteries! PJ