Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Is this what I think it is?

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

  1. #21
    Luke Skywalker Gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Rotisserie restoration... really?

    Want to see the difference? Take a look at John Felt's Bugeye that was recently sold for $25,000. It it completely correct? ... no, but the execution is excellent. John does not do his own restoration work, but instead puts it into the hands who can do it right.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Austin-Heal...p2047675.l2557
    Gerard
    http://gerardsgarage.com/
    1960 Bugeye Vintage Racer #50
    1960 Bugeye (partially restored)
    1960 Morris Minor Pickup
    1964 Morris Minor 4 dr Saloon
    1970 Austin Mini (for sale)
    1946 Austin 10


  2. #22
    Jedi Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bonita, california
    Posts
    674
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    John is what I consider a good friend here in San Diego County, and even though he doesn't do all his own work he gets his hands dirty, and he knows a lot about these BE's. A lot more than I do. I am an owner and a driver and that is about all. I know how to make sure a nice car is well maintained and in good working order, but i have to pay to have that done.
    Recently Bill M did some stuff to my car that I really appreciated. Some of the things he did I didn't even know needed to be done. It is nice to have people like Bill M close by in case you are not sure of something or just have questions.

  3. #23
    Luke Skywalker Gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,813
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    Quote Originally Posted by 59diamond View Post
    John is what I consider a good friend here in San Diego County, and even though he doesn't do all his own work he gets his hands dirty, and he knows a lot about these BE's. A lot more than I do. I am an owner and a driver and that is about all. I know how to make sure a nice car is well maintained and in good working order, but i have to pay to have that done.
    Recently Bill M did some stuff to my car that I really appreciated. Some of the things he did I didn't even know needed to be done. It is nice to have people like Bill M close by in case you are not sure of something or just have questions.
    I didn't even know you knew John personally.
    Gerard
    http://gerardsgarage.com/
    1960 Bugeye Vintage Racer #50
    1960 Bugeye (partially restored)
    1960 Morris Minor Pickup
    1964 Morris Minor 4 dr Saloon
    1970 Austin Mini (for sale)
    1946 Austin 10


  4. #24
    Jedi Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bonita, california
    Posts
    674
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    Well when you go to John's Annual Bugeye Barbeque you get to become friends with a lot of BE Owners, especially John.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    53
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    John's car was a stunning example. This one is nice, but not a complete restoration, a few things missing (eg.washer pump and bottle, bracket), wrong Choke cable, old knobs etc... but, we should be pleased for him if he can get over $20K for the car. Isn't that good for all of us who restore these cars for the enjoyment and frustration we all get from it ? I have noticed there are occasional negative comments on this site, often by people that don't show there own work. Why is that ?
    Cheers
    Lew

  6. #26
    Jedi Trainee sqbsprite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Piedmont, SC
    Posts
    345
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    Completely surprised at the final selling price of $26K. There are so many things wrong with this car that I would not even begin to point them out. There's more to a nice car than a good paint job. I guess it is good for the market, but it makes me wonder if people really know what good quality is. This one was much worse than the black MkII that sold a few weeks ago. So for a MkII to bring nearly the same as BE, it would have to be much nicer and it was. But it lacked a lot as well. Just not as much as this one. I may need to increase my insurance.
    Steve
    South Carolina
    '62 Sprite MKII
    '71 Triumph TR6
    Life is too short to drive boring cars.

  7. #27
    Jedi Hopeful Brian_James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    153
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Want to see the difference? Take a look at John Felt's Bugeye that was recently sold for $25,000. It it completely correct? ... no, but the execution is excellent. John does not do his own restoration work, but instead puts it into the hands who can do it right.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Austin-Heal...p2047675.l2557
    It's a nice car, but the thing that hits me first is that it is the wrong color red, and the interior is wrong. Red Bugeyes were a little darker red, and the interior should be red with white piping. I have a red car matched to the original Healey color, and 90% of the big money red Bugeyes I have seen are incorrect. I never understand why people spend the money they do, and still put the wrong color paint on a car, and a black interior in a red car.

    Brian

  8. #28
    Yoda Jim_Gruber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Apollo Beach, FL
    Posts
    5,488
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    It may be the wrong color but it ended up selling for 26k. Way out at the top of the price curve . The seller did well .
    Jim Gruber - Apollo Beach, FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new - 10/12 Painting done, reassembly, cutting, and buffing in progress.

  9. #29
    Yoda HealeyRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,917
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    49
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_James View Post
    It's a nice car, but the thing that hits me first is that it is the wrong color red, and the interior is wrong. Red Bugeyes were a little darker red, and the interior should be red with white piping. I have a red car matched to the original Healey color, and 90% of the big money red Bugeyes I have seen are incorrect. I never understand why people spend the money they do, and still put the wrong color paint on a car, and a black interior in a red car.

    Brian
    It was called "Cherry Red" and Jaguar "Regency Red" is a match to the original.
    Rick

  10. #30
    Jedi Knight bugedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chico, CA
    Posts
    1,185
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Is this what I think it is?

    One thing I like about Bugeye's is that there is, IMO, no wrong way to do a car as long as it's done tastefully. The cars are common enough that if someone wants to do their own interpretation of the car or expression of themselves, go for it. And if its done well, it's appreciated. Not all Bugeye's need to be restorations and done so that every nut and bolt is correct. And seeing a car like this one, not "correctly" done by restoration standards but done well in many areas, and pull in that kind of money, makes me feel better about throwing so much into mine. l
    1960 Bugeye AN5L43788, 1275, Datsun 5 speed, bunches of fun goodies.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •