• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Christmas Movies

Basil

Administrator
Boss
It's getting to be that time again. Probably this weekend we will be watching "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart (I own in in HD). One of my all-time favorite movies. Hard to believe, but that movie didn't do that well at the box office when I first came out, but has become a staple of Christmas movies!

Do you plan to what this movie, or what other Christmas movies do you plan to watch this season?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Holiday Inn (1942) - definitely one of my favorites for the "feel good" black and white WW2 holiday movie.

220px-Holiday_Inn_poster.jpg

First movie with "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas".

Shane

Jedi Warrior
Christmas Vacation, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated), Miracle on 34th Street, Elf, A Christmas Story, and Love Actually.

My wife actually took me to the theater to watch Love Actually about ten years ago (not safe for kids, btw)... the opening scene and monologue is probably one of the best that I've ever seen. Get a lump in my throat almost every time I see it...

And yes, we will be watching "It's a Wonderful Life."

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Our local cineplex theatre runs old movies at Christmas will be watching Holiday Inn. There is something amazing about seeing movies like this on the big screen, in this case, for me, for the first time.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
"It's a Wonderful Life" is playing at the local live theatre which always does a great production. I'm more excited to go to "Holiday Tubas," a Christmas concert of, you guessed it, on the steps of the Old Capitol Building, Iowa City noon this Friday.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
We just watched Polar Express with the grand kids.

So, on Sunday, we're taking an actual ride in a "Polar Express" Christmas train ride here in NJ. It's run in conjunction with one of the local railroad historical societies. The kids will all be wearing their PJs (that's part of the story).

Also, my siblings will be coming over for a party and we will sit around and watch the DVD of ~This Short Film~ (this is just the trailer for it).
I know Ben Cissel (the producer) plus the Zapata crew and lots of the people and cars in this film, so it's sort of extra fun.
Notice that Ben gets Brian Johnson for some of the short interviews.

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Watched Christmas Vacation a couple nights ago, and plan on The NAtivity Story sometime this weekend.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Christmas Vacation, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated), Miracle on 34th Street, Elf, A Christmas Story, and Love Actually.

My wife actually took me to the theater to watch Love Actually about ten years ago (not safe for kids, btw)... the opening scene and monologue is probably one of the best that I've ever seen. Get a lump in my throat almost every time I see it...

And yes, we will be watching "It's a Wonderful Life."
Shane, pretty much the exact list I would have made, extraordinarily good taste!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Last night we went to see Holiday Inn at our local Cineplex. I don't think I had seen it before - Fascinating. Huge patriotic message for July 4th (Pearl Harbour came 1/2 way through filming) Some controversy - Lincoln's Birthday blackface song - but lovely none the less. And, it is so awesome seeing these old movies on the big screen!

I's Dreaming of a White Christmas! (actually, we'll likely have one - and I am dreaming more of the song than the actual snow) :smile:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'll watch whatever TCM is putting on while I happen to be watching TV. Last weekend I watched "The Bishop's Wife" and "Holiday Affair" with Robert Mitchum.

BTW, in "The Bishop's Wife" the roles of the Bishop (David Niven) and the Angel (Cary Grant) were originally reversed. For some reason early in production, the director was was fired and the new director decided it would be better to switch the Niven and Grant roles. I don't think the movie would have worked as well if done as originally planned.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
thanks for that Nial .Will have to order it.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
BTW, in "The Bishop's Wife" the roles of the Bishop (David Niven) and the Angel (Cary Grant) were originally reversed. For some reason early in production, the director was was fired and the new director decided it would be better to switch the Niven and Grant roles. I don't think the movie would have worked as well if done as originally planned.

Wow, I agree Art - Just can't believe the movie would be anywhere near as good with those rolls reversed.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
No one else is going to watch the Charlie Brown Christmas Special?! "lights please..."
Or the old Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer Claymation special with Yukon Cornelius and the island of misfit toys? "Bumbles bounce!"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OOoohhh! I gotta get that movie Nial linked! :thumbsup:

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
"Family Man" with Nicholas Cage and Tia Leoni is hilarious and has a good message.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Holiday Inn (1942) - definitely one of my favorites for the "feel good" black and white WW2 holiday movie.

220px-Holiday_Inn_poster.jpg

First movie with "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas".

Somehow I missed seeing that movie. I've heard of it, but never had the opportunity to see it. I'll have to put it on my movie bucket list.