• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cheap stove pipe needed

G

6" un insulated for a wood burning stove. I may cheat a few feet by using a 30 gallon steel drum on top for a heat exchanger but I still need some pipe. Anyone know of a good inexpensive source. This stuff is stupid expensive for what it is.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Try an old time hardware store. The big box stores may have one. Or try a heating/air conditioner contractor.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Craigslist?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I bought some 7" at Home Depot, and it wasn't too expensive. It came as flat sheets, with the edges rolled so they snap together. Looks like they have 5' of 6" galvanized steel for $8.20. Probably not rated for wood stove service, though.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-...Metal-Duct-Pipe-CP6X60/100125106#.UmoSF1NF21Q

Randall, He needs insulated pipe! It's all premade.

Billy, remember, insulated pipe is much cheaper than replacing a burnt out house! I know it's expensive, but so is insurance. JMHO. PJ

OP
G

No, I want un insulated, it's an old wood stove in a freight trailer going through an aluminum wall so no worrys.

Randall, galvanize will stand up to the heat but it will kill you unless you burn all of the zinc off.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Randall, galvanize will stand up to the heat but it will kill you unless you burn all of the zinc off.
Sorry, don't buy it. Yes, you can poison yourself with zinc oxide fumes, but it takes some strong fumes and a lot of exposure to do it. Even then, the "zinc shakes" usually pass without any permanent damage, let alone death.
And unless there is something wrong, your vent pipe shouldn't be getting nearly hot enough to burn away the zinc, at least not all at once.

OP
G

Sorry, don't buy it. Yes, you can poison yourself with zinc oxide fumes, but it takes some strong fumes and a lot of exposure to do it. Even then, the "zinc shakes" usually pass without any permanent damage, let alone death.
And unless there is something wrong, your vent pipe shouldn't be getting nearly hot enough to burn away the zinc, at least not all at once.

Well, it certainly wont help with anything I have now: https://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.php?lesson=safety3/demo

Zinc will smoke and burn off of galv pipe used as a flue. I had some outside in this stove and it did it not to mention Kelly's saga kiln uses it too and most of it burnt off with the first firing.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Remember I said I'd bought some recently? Guess what it was used for. And I only bought more because the previous section had gotten damaged in the wind.

Sure, you can kill yourself if you try hard enough. Even a cup of water will do, if you work at it. But I'm not going to give up bathing either.

Oh, and if you read to the bottom of that article, Jim suffered from emphysema and died of double pneumonia, two weeks after getting over the zinc shakes. He could have just as easily died from a cold shower.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I seem to recall that the stuff I installed years ago was stainless steel and wasn't cheap (in the insulated form)... $1/inch (and that was many years ago).