• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Flag retirement

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Walking my neighborhood 4-5 times a day I have noticed that a few flags are very worn and almost without color.
How do you all retire a flag?
I know how it is done with color guards and all .
But for private citizens?

Country flag
I understand that a flag should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferably by burning....

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Though I am completely for article 19 and what it stand for
(but let's not go there)
but I think just burning the flag would make me uneasy
Think I would hunt down a VFW as Rhody quoted

G

Give em to a funeral home. From what I understand, they place them on caskets of military personal who are to be creamated.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Our veterans deserve better then a tattered flag.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don,

Contact the Boy Scouts - that's one of the things that
you need to do to get to be an Eagle Scout,If my memories correct.
I don't believe that most people know proper etiquette,as
pertaining to the US flag.

- Doug

G

Our veterans deserve better then a tattered flag.

Agreed but that's not why they do it. Ask yourself this question, would there be a more Honorable way to retire a flag? Then you have to think about it's the tattered ones you see in museums and full display cases, not brand new ones. That's for good reason too. Then yo have to look at the symbolism that's involved using a "service" worn flag which is SEVERAL layers deep. While at first glance it may seem a new flag is the way to go, I assure you as an artist, a flag that's been previously in service is a much more fitting tribute. Trust me!

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I understand that a flag should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferably by burning....

Thats right.

I know they are willing to do it, but I don't like the idea of using the VFW. Seems wrong (to me) to ask a veteran to do you another favor. Likewise not interested in having a Boy Scout handle my responsibility. Not passing judgement. Just trying to make the point that if you can handle the dignified burning then you should, rather than passing the responsibility on to someone else.

I suppose that if you have to consider the HOA or city regs or fire danger etc., then it's not an option to do it yourself outside, not safe to do inside... Guess you have no choice but to rely on a vet. Again. Something for us to ponder as Memorial Day nears...

G

Thats right.

I know they are willing to do it, but I don't like the idea of using the VFW. Seems wrong (to me) to ask a veteran to do you another favor. Likewise not interested in having a Boy Scout handle my responsibility. Not passing judgement. Just trying to make the point that if you can handle the dignified burning then you should, rather than passing the responsibility on to someone else.

Guess you have no choice but to rely on a vet. Again. Something for us to ponder as Memorial Day nears...

Understood, however; depends on how you look at it. Vets are the "keepers of the colors" AND, the ones to whom it matters most especially with proper disposal. Asking a vet to help with proper disposal is actually Honoring them. What you are in effect saying is, " A high of a price has been paid for this and I wish to Honor those who paid the ulitimate price by assurung the most proper disposal availible to me." You gotta remember, it's far easier for civilians to burn it themselves or God forbid, just throw it away.

You get an Honor guard at military funerals, right? Why not for the flag too?

It all depends on how you look at it and admittedly, I'm a bit on the deep side sometimes....or is that the deep end...:jester:

Dollars to donuts, them Boy Scouts would do a far better job than 95% of the population, jus' sayin'.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
VFW, American Legion, Boy Scouts. Take your pick.

Yup. I steer any who ask to the Boy Scouts. Know several of the leaders around here, the Eagle Scout program particularly. They have put a "drop box" (old USPS metal, street mailbox, appropriately labeled) in front of the local Chamber of Commerce. The burning is done at a local Veteran's Park. Honorably.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
From www.USFlag.org:
When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.
hrthin.gif

Note: Most American Legion Posts regularly conduct a dignified flag burning ceremony, often on Flag Day, June 14th. Many Cub Scout Packs, Boy Scout Troops, and Girl Scout Troops retire flags regularly as well. Contact your local American Legion Hall or Scout Troop to inquire about the availability of this service.

G

So, to make sure I get this right; the guys that say you're not supposed to burn the flag are they guys who are supposed to burn the flag when you're supposed to burn the flag.

Only in America! :grin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Slightly off topic - I saw a bumper sticker today that I liked.
It said - "YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO BURN OUR FLAG _ BUT WRAP YOURSELF IN IT FIRST"

- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No flag retirement ceremony yesterday.