• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Posting full-sized image in thread using BCF's photo service...

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
I'm noticing that most of the images posted in threads using the BCF image manipulator are in thumbnail format and must be clicked on to achieve full size, and that blocks the text of the posting. I discovered the image control panel quite by accident and wondered how many members are aware that exists. With it you have choices of the size of the image you post, its placement on the page and other tasks. This is what it looks like when it's opened. The image shown was expanded to "full size" from default "thumbnail".

Image Control Panel

To reach it, insert the image into your thread in the normal manner and then open the CP by double-clicking the thumbnail that appears in the composition window. The CP shown above will appear and allow you to manipulate the image size by selecting other than the default "thumbnail" and its placement on the right, center or left of the posting. I have been satisfied leaving the other settings alone.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ya know ... I *used* to have a photo control panel just after BCF upgraded. But now, if I add a photo by uploading, all that appears in the composition window is a tag, like:

There's nothing to "double click".

Just call me puzzled!
Tom

OP
B

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
Ya know ... I *used* to have a photo control panel just after BCF upgraded. But now, if I add a photo by uploading, all that appears in the composition window is a tag, like:

I don't know what process you are following but are you certain that the correct image source is selected... from your computer files or from a source on the internet. This dialog does not always open to the same selection; I have to check each time to verify where it's looking. Just now it opened to "From URL" and I had to select "From Computer" to upload the image from my photo files.

insert.jpg

If you are following the proper procedure, an email to Basil might be in order.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. You can only upload a photo using that dialog if you choose From Computer. I used to use From Computer until I lost the ability to "double click" and re-size. So now I almost always just use the From URL.

If you use From URL, the picture shows up full size automatically fitting the page. If I use From Computer, I just get the thumbnail, with no chance to double click before posting. It *used* to be possible, but not for many months.

Thanks.
Tom

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
If you use "from URL" a box appears: "Retrieve remote file and reference locally. If you uncheck it Basil doesn't have to hold it on his server.

OP
B

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
You can only upload a photo using that dialog if you choose From Computer.
Strange... each and every photo I have posted to this thread and the last 2 I posted to the "Number Game" thread have been uploaded by selecting "From Computer", centered by selecting that in "alignment" and resized from default thumbnail bus selecting "full" or "large".

If I understand you correctly when you say "If I use From Computer, I just get the thumbnail, with no chance to double click before posting", the act of uploading the image from your computer files causes the posting to post automatically as soon as the image is added??

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Strange... each and every photo I have posted to this thread and the last 2 I posted to the "Number Game" thread have been uploaded by selecting "From Computer", centered by selecting that in "alignment" and resized from default thumbnail bus selecting "full" or "large".

If I understand you correctly when you say "If I use From Computer, I just get the thumbnail, with no chance to double click before posting", the act of uploading the image from your computer files causes the posting to post automatically as soon as the image is added??

Yep - exactly. The image is added as an "ATTACH" tag in the text area, even before I click SAVE. It doesn't appear in the post until I Save or Preview. If I click Preview, I see the image, but double clicking only opens up the image covering the post; I can close the image by hitting ESC or CLOSE. If I click SAVE, the image appears in the post - but there was never a chance to doubleclick it to do those Center, Size, etc. things.

Edit: this happens whether I choose the standard (quick) reply, or the Advanced.

Tom

OP
B

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
Basil has been most helpful to me in the past week or so getting the workings of the forum sorted out.

If it was me (and only because it's my way), I would send him an email, ask him to read this thread and perhaps offer some ideas as to why you have a problem with this function. Somewhere, code is not being read or executed correcty.

OP
B

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
Out of curiosity... which OS and what browser/version do you use. I have 6 browsers in my Windows 7, 64-bit system; maybe I can experiment a bit next week.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I have found that with my current security settings I am not given the option to fool with the image. I know I can re-set my system so I can (and have successfully experimented with it when Basil created the new system), but have chosen not to alter my settings... so I just go with the "thumbs" approach. Thus, no option to click on an image and re-size. Interestingly, though, I can post the full-size YouTube video.

I'm using Windows 8 and IE 10.

Wingtip

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag

Just call me puzzled!
Tom

You are probably not using the "Enhanced WYSIWYG" Editor. Go to settings and change to the Advanced Editor (General Settings) and I'll bet you're problem is fixed. I learned that from another forum that uses vBulletin.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
a-HA! Just changed to Enhanced WYSIWYG and am trying a photo:

View attachment 27267

Yeehaa! It worked. Never knew about the WYSIWYG relation to posting photos. Thanks!
Now I'll keep watch to see if WYSIWYG has any "unexpected consequences". For some folks, it results in word wrap all text and prevents new paragraph (use of Enter key).

Thanks.
Tom

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
On the other hand, if the pic you posted is your computer, it may explain some of your issues. :jester: (seriously, glad it worked)

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
On the other hand, if the pic you posted is your computer, it may explain some of your issues. :jester: (seriously, glad it worked)

Hey - no fair making fun of other guys' computers! I just added more memory:

colossus2.jpg

(Bletchley Park Colossus - after 70+ years, it's running again.)

OP
B

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
Thanks, Wingtip..

I get the ADVANCED editor (because it is selected in "settings") when I initiate a new thread or sometimes when I edit one of my own postings but get the "quick reply" editor by default to reply to an existing one. I can switch to the advanced editor to post replies to existing threads but the image editor is available to me anyway, even in the "qiick reply". Do you know if this is normal??

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks, wingtip..

I get the ADVANCED editor (because it is selected in "settings") when I initiate a new thread or edit one of my own postings but get the "quick reply" editor by default to reply to an existing one. I can switch to the advanced editor to post replies to existing threads but the image editor is available to me anyway, even in the "qiick reply". Do you know if this is normal??

(funny - I see "Thanks, Tom..." in your post, but I see "Thanks, wingtip.." in this Reply with Quote)

What you describe is exactly the same for me, so I figure that's normal.

Tom

OP
B

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
I have found that with my current security settings I am not given the option to fool with the image....I'm using Windows 8 and IE 10.
Therein lies one of the many reasons I have no interest in Windows 8. I read recently that Microsoft will be rolling out a major revamp of Win 8 later this summer to address consumer concerns and streamline and improve functionality. It will have to be a MAJOR revamp to change how I feel about.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Therein lies one of the many reasons I have no interest in Windows 8. I read recently that Microsoft will be rolling out a major revamp of Win 8 later this summer to address consumer concerns and streamline and improve functionality. It will have to be a MAJOR revamp to change how I feel about.

Man, I sure hope so. It's taken a long time to get used to it... and I have set up a LOT of "looks like Windows 7" to make it more useable. I'm told that the subterranean systems are superior, but not the user interface (unless you are using the touch-screen thing, which I'm not). There are still things I hate about it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Now that the thread has branched to Win8 ... I wonder if most of the frustration is because we're just used to the "old style" Windows. I remember I was really confoozled by Windows when it first came out a zillion years ago. I could do anything I needed with DOS and CP/M - which were a heck of a lot faster than the graphic interface Windows "bestowed".

CPM-86.png

Anybody remember PIP <new file> <old file> ?

Tom

OP
B

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
" ... I wonder if most of the frustration is because we're just used to the "old style" Windows.
Absolutely! People our age resist change more vigorously than younger people.

I remember I was really confoozled by Windows when it first came out a zillion years ago. I could do anything I needed with DOS and CP/M - which were a heck of a lot faster than the graphic interface Windows "bestowed"
Microsoft developed Win 8 primarily as a cross-platform OS. It is intended to give the user a familiar GUI and functionality on their desktop, laptop, notebook, tablet and phone. Since the phone and tablet present the most severe limitations with how the OS interfaces with its user, 8 was designed to be icon-based and finger/stylus touch navigated because that's about all that will work efficiently on something as small as a smart phone. If you have a smart phone or a tablet you appreciate the similarity to your laptop/desktop and the ease with which files and data are synced between them. If I create and save a graphic file to my desktop, the moment I save it it is available from my tablet and phone as well when I'm away from my desktop, and it requires no additional input from me to make it so.

Having Win 8 on only a desktop PC (no other devices) with no touch screen is like owning a 6-speed electronically controlled transmission but no car to put it in. You're not gonna get much out of it as it is, and something a whole lot less sophisticated would do the job just as well.