• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Mg td

Fsf119

Freshman Member
1952 mg td
Hello, I recently purchased a 1952 mg td. I am not familiar with these. I bought it as an impulse. I have a few questions. This car is a light tan color. I feel it is original paint. Under the hood and fenders is a red primer. I have read that CKD cars came in red primer. But the ckd cars are listed as right hand drive. Did they make left hand drive (mine) ckd?
also this car has sat inside for 10 years and the motor is stuck. I am soaking it with oil now, but no luck. Any advice as to further action to free the cylinders? Thanks ya'all , Fred from new england

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only CKD cars I know of were sent to Australia. Your not going to get much info on any T series car here as very few T series owners patronize this site, sorry to say! What you need to do is go to this site, "MG Enthusiasts", which most all of us T owners belong to. When you click the link below, go to the members section and sign up. There's no fee! Once signed up and on the site, go to the T series cars threads, introduce your self and ask any question you want about any T series car! A great bunch of guys hang out there from all over the world!

PS, What is the chassis number? Find it stamped on the left hand front dumb iron (Frame horn). A lot can be brought to light with that number. Date of manufacture, original engine number etc. Find it and let me know what it is! PJ

https://www.mgcars.org.uk/index.html

OP
F

Fsf119

Freshman Member
PJ, Thanks for the info. I will get back to you in a few days on the frame number. In the meantime I will check out the site you suggested. Thanks. Fred

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Once you find your chassis number, you can look it up here:

https://www.tregister.org/register_home.php

You'll get some more information on the car (production date and a few other details). MG TDs are great little cars.

We love pictures too!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
For stuck engines, I've had good luck doing the following:

1. remove spark plugs
2. pour kerosene into cylinder
3. allow to soak at least overnight
4. put large wrench on front pully nut and gently "rock" it clockwise and counterclockwise (just a little bit). Wait at least a few hours and try to "rock" it again. Eventually, it may work free.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Bought an old tractor once that had the engine frozen from setting for many years. I did as Nial suggested, only I used a 50/50 mixture of acetone and atf. I didn't get back to it for over a week though, but it did free it up after a lot of crank rocking. I pulled everything apart. Good thing I did, as it had broken rings and the sleeved cylinders were very rusty. New sleeves, rings and pistons, plus the other usual stuff. Still runs like new! PJ

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Fsf119, one thing to check is the starter Bendix might be stuck in the fly wheel gear. Tap it with a hammer on the end and it should pop out. Even the early MGB's had an exposed starter that kind of worked backwards to the modern car.

Wayne