• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What to buy? My Explorer is dead!

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well our old 1996 Explorer's transmission is gone (Christmas eve) and it looks like we need to stimulate the national economy. What would you recommend for a family of 4? We can afford to go with a new car this year, but it seems a quality car or SUV will still run $30,000. Cars we have done a little research on.
The
2013 Ford Escape 4wd
2013 VW Passat TDI
2013 Ford Fusion 2.0 liter ecoboost AWD
Seems like we might have to hurry in order to get some year end savings, but we are flexible as we can get the use of another car while shopping.
Recommendations from a group that I consider experts in the car world!
Regards
Paul

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Have you looked at a RAV4, Paul?

...just a WAG from too far away.

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not yet Doc. Will give it a look online tonight.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not th' worst choice, believe me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good cargo space, mileage is acceptable and it's peppy when ya want it to be.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We bought a used 2007 Ford Fusion - 4 cylinder,5 speed,
for a very fair price.
I don't care much about newer cars,but I'm impressed with it.
A good Friend,who gets a company car,told me that he's ordered a
2013 Ford Fusion hybrid.
If you need an "SUV" type vehicle,then go with the crowd,&
buy the "flavor of the week".Personally,I hate to buy vehicles because
everyone else is buying them.

- Doug

G

I say buy a new transmission if the Explorer is a V8. You'll get 300K out of it.

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
V6

sd80mac7204

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've been looking at used Impalas lately. Because GM is changing the body for next year you can find some good deals on them. A fully loaded one with 15k on it can be found for less than $20k. During our snow storm yesterday mine had no problem going down roads with 8 or more inches of snow on them. I run studded tires on the front. No failures in 185,000 miles. Bought it in 2006 with 16,000 miles on it.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am a fan of early to mid 60s Buicks, plenty big and the nailheads are built proof.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good friend of mine has a recent VW Jetta diesel, and he really likes it. Fantastic gas mileage, though the price of entry is a bit higher. My old boss had RAV4, loved it. Solid car, and the AWD is nice if you have snow issues. Subarus fall into that category as well.

If you're thinking domestics, Ford has got a really nice lineup right now. Me, I've always been a fan of small cars (driving a Kia Forte hatchback right now) -- throw on a set of snow tires in the winter and it's pretty unstoppable. MIght be tight for your family, but then our family car when I was growing up (4 of us) was a VW Rabbit so I'm used to small.

D

Deleted member 8987

We've got a 99 Explorer sport, 4.0L V-6. If I need a trans, it will probably get a trans.
Depends on how everything else is, but the V-6 runs and runs and runs.
Compare prices for a A) used trans, B) rebuilt trans, C) new trans, and then D) a new car.
Probably B).

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I would just have a tranny put in the exploder unless there are other pressing/pending issues with it. Otherwise a 93 through 97 XJ6 Jag is cheap reliable transportation. (Yes, that is a true statement) The 98 thru 03 XJ8s can be, but there are known issues to look out for. The sixes are just about bulletproof. If you spent more than 5K on one it better have very low mileage (sub50K), or be an XJR version.

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just in from a productive day at work. Thanks for the heads up. We are going to explore many of the options, including fixing the explorer. I am going for a drive in a friends 2013 passat tdi in the moring. I will let you know what I think.
Paul

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
Lotsa NICE cars out there. I looked at all the new SUV's and decided on a Nissan Murano. Thought I'd be a patriot and give the Ford Edge a shot but sadly no comparison. I bought a 2011 with 5800 miles on it and saved a buck.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
":lol: Yes, I also like their incorporation of another vehicle as it's crumple zone in case of an accident."

That is one of the reasons my 16 year old gets to drive my 68 Caddy.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Stay away from the Escape WITH 4wd. I've been told the rear differentials are not very good and are NOT rebuildable. You have to purchase a new one from Ford. $$$$$$ 2wd is a good vehicle. My daughter has one and she likes it.:smile:

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
TDI TDI TDI

I have a sportswagen tdi and it's been fantastic. Fun to drive, good power and it beats the epa mileage estimates driving at real world speeds.