• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sleep Apnea anyone?

G

Anyone here have any experience with it? Judging from my sleep patterns and the fact I feel worse when I wake up than when I went to sleep leads me to believe I have it. Every morning I feel like I was hit by a truck. I'm at a point I can't take it anymore. I once loved to sleep but now I hate it and dread going to bed. I think I'd rather experience water boarding. At least then I would know what was happening.

I'm not a CPAP machine kinda guy and am leaning towards surgery. Either I'ma fix it or it's gonna kill me. Being attatch/dependant on a machine to breath for the rest of my life isn't an option. I'd opt out before that.

What all do you guys know about this? Thanks.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
I was diagnosed with severe onstructive apnea a couple months back. Went for a sleep study and didn't last more than two hours before they were strapping me into a CPAP machine. Apparently it's that bad. I felt like the walking dead for a long time. I'm trying to adjust to the CPAP machine, but I don't do well with it. Some folks I know have them and think they're brilliant.

I'll give it a few more months of trial. I do know that the machine has doubled and tripled my energy levels when I can get a night's sleep with it. I still travel for work, and don't like the idea of having to fly with the machine. Also, though my lovely wife is happy to not hear the snoring any longer, the sound of the machine drives her nuts. But she's pregnant, and that tends to make them more crazy than normal. :smile:

I am very tempted go get a recommendation from an ear-nose-throat Dr. About surgery. I'll check in with my normal doc about it in January.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Been using a CPAP for about ten years. Can't sleep without it. New ones are totally silent as long as you are waring it properly. I have the kind that just sticks in your nose so it is less obtrusive than the typical masks. Surgery has been ruled out for me because I have both obstructive and central sleep apnea. Worst part of the deal are the sleep studies necessary every few years. They are actually sleep deprivation studies. They reduce the effect of the machine until you get apneac, this goes on all night with you sleeping and waking for lack of air. Pure torture for me.

OP
G

I did o.k last night. I have a cold and the meds helped knock me out. I hate this.! I'd rather suffer from too much air commin' out me than not goin' in.

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
My son has severe apnea.
He was diagnosed 3 yrs. ago in the trauma center after be flown in following a head on collision one morning when he fell asleep at the wheel.
He now uses a CPAP every nite and is a new person.
I haven't heard about the surgery, but may look into it before he turns 26 and goes off our insurance. He just turned 24, so we better not waste time.

JOeyKnapp

Jedi Hopeful
I gotta keep an eye on this one... I heard I have it, but I try and deny it. There are times when I am driving home after work and I almost fall asleep at the redlights. I usually go to bed around 2 and get up for work at 7. I stay awake until I can't stay up any longer, then go to sleep..

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
My doctor asked if I was tired. I said "well yeah?". Next thing I know I've got a saleman at my door fitting me for the whole nine yards. Two weeks later I'm in bed looking like a an F16 fighter pilot and getting less sleep than ever because this **** mask is bugging the **** out of me. Not for me. I sympathize with those that actually need the CPAP. In my case I think the doctor needed a car payment. Kind of like the $800 worthless knee brace that my insurance paid for after arthroscopic surgery.
Let's not abuse this medicare just because it's free.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Diagnosed me a long time ago. I needed the sleep test so I could get Provigil for the Fibromyalgia.
The guy running the test (I was the only one there) told me in the morning he'd never seen anything like it.
I laid down on my right side and went to sleep. Got up at 0200 for the can, went back, laid on my left side, and went right to sleep. Never thrashed, never moved.

Get the report, I tossed and turned, pitched, and wheezed.

I talked to my Doc, asked him:

"If they are pushing CPAP machines, what do YOU think the report is going to say?"
Hmm, says he.

So, I had nose surgery (deviated septum...bad), followed a year later by sinus surgery (first surgeon failed to address it), and I am off breathe-right strips for the most part...use them once in a while.
I am strongly motivated to not be on mechanical life support.
Period.

Yeah, I'm tired.
But with Fibro, what causes it?
Fibro.

Dave

OP
G

Diagnosed me a long time ago.

"If they are pushing CPAP machines, what do YOU think the report is going to say?"

I am strongly motivated to not be on mechanical life support.
Period.

That's what I told Kelly, seems they are pushing this stuff too hard lately. No doubt I have it but still.

Seems I get it honestly on all counts, eh Pop ! :wink:

Last edited:

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
My wife and I both have apnea, and CPAP machines. It's like Mr. and Mrs. Vader.

There are some oral appliances out there they may help and preclude the need for a maching.

OP
G

I read raising the bed can help. I piled a bunch of pillows against the headboard and slept on about a 45 degree angle. While this sounds quirky, it was really pretty comfortable. You can stretch out or curl up in a fetal possiton. When you think about it, it makes sense,. The most comfortable you've ever been was in the fetal possiton. :wink: I have one of those oral devices which is now worn out from teeth grinding but it did and does still help. I really need a new one. Too bad we have a built in gag reflex or else I'd just jam a tube down me gullet for better flow. A CAI if you will.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
and the fact I feel worse when I wake up than when I went to sleep leads me to believe I have it. Every morning I feel like I was hit by a truck.What all do you guys know about this? Thanks.

I used to feel that way also Billy when I was younger. and then I stopped drinking so much and it has been fine since:D

OP
G

I slept better *when* I drank. Matter of fact, I can't sleep right now.