• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nial, et al

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yep. Thanks!

Already tested my sump pump and emergency generator.

We're traveling about 100 miles south this weekend (not a great idea but it's granddaughter's first birthday), so we're already extra wary. We'll be taking the Chevy Express van instead of the Accord (taller for deeper puddles) and we've booking a room for Sunday night in case we can't get home.

We just got a contingency plan from our college in case there's an emergency closing on Monday or Tuesday.

Be safe, everyone!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm heading to Long Island on Sat and returning on Sun... the drive home should be interesting. Have to move all my deck furniture today or it might get blown away.
Stay safe everyone!

edit: figured I'd better add get the ladder out and check the gutters to make sure they're clear :eeek:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just came back from running a few errands. Went to Lowes and stopped at the super market... it's unbelievable that there is already a run on food and hardware. The guy at Lowes told me by mid morning they were already out of portable generators... sheeesh!
The supermarket was doing a brisk business- the storm is not supposed to hit here until Monday.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Friends in Allentown waited too long to go out to find a generator. None to be had.

G

They're talking 45 MPH winds at landfall. :smirk:

Fellas, this is a non event of bunny fart proportions. :rolleyes:

Surge may be a problem but otherwise you guys shoud be fine. Not having power isn't gonna kill ya.

Hey Doc, your friend look for an inverter yet?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They're NORTHERNERS, Billy!! Out of abundance of caution I suggested they fill the tub to flush th' necessity and get a couple 6 gallon plastic gas containers for water stowage... instead, they're gonna grab mom an' head inland to spend the time in a hotel.

<shrug>

Winds where they are, are forecast to gust as high as 70MPH, WE consider it bunny farts, THEY haven't dealt with that in a decade or more.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thinkaboutit... They contend with cold, not hurricane force gales on a regular basis.

It's got 'em all in a tiz.

DrEntropy said:
Thinkaboutit... They contend with cold, not hurricane force gales on a regular basis.

How about i send for ya Doc, the next blizzard we get? I will allow you to shovel my driveway. See how you can handle the cold AND wind? 15°F and 30 mph winds will turn your southern cojones into ice cubes for our eggnog. :eeek:

This one has some possibilities for snow...

m

D

Deleted member 8987

All they know about in some parts is passing a law outlawing something...can't deal with something they cannot regulate!

G

DrEntropy said:

Ahhhh, like us with snow.

TOC said:
All they know about in some parts is passing a law outlawing something...can't deal with something they cannot regulate!

:lol:

That's too funny! Definatly too many rules for me in some of them thsr parts.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
When you're sitting in a 100+ yr old frame home surrounded by trees of the same age, 50 mph winds w/significant rain can be a real threat. I can almost guarantee we will lose power, the only ?? will be for how long. Our driving club annual fall drive is scheduled for Sunday; 50 degrees and rain don't make for a fun day. I expect to see a 1 week postponement a/o tomorrow.

To keep from getting my keyboard slapped, I won't reply to some of the comments from the southern contingent.

GaryBeu

Banned
AND...from the Far North contingent. Carla and I lived in Alaska for 50 years. Normal winter weather for us was 0° to -45° with almost daily wind of 35-60mph. One March we had 2 1/2 weeks of 0° and sustained wind of 75-80mph then it peaked out at 115mph and died down over the next few days. It's rough everywhere. We live in Kentucky now and laugh at the Hazardous Weather forcasts for winds gusting to 28mph...BUT it cuts to the bone in this humdity when it's 40° and winds are 15mph...have to admit it :smile:.

G

DART said:
When you're sitting in a 100+ yr old frame home surrounded by trees of the same age, 50 mph winds w/significant rain can be a real threat.

Newer houses and less wind? You'll be fine. :wink:

Just whatever y'all do, PLEASE....for the love of GOD...

DON'T SEND ANY SNOW DOWN HERE !!!! :eeek:

Never seen the stuff, but I heard it'll melt yer flesh and inact unfavorable legislation. :jester:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm NOT makin' small of th' threat. Just diff'rent stuff to contend with.

Check the ethos of Special Forces, the paradigm of an Air Force PJ.

I'm past it all, in a world I chose. Comfort has its advantages! :wink:

D

Deleted member 8987

Worst thing around here is two weeks of monsoon...followed by 50MPH winds with gusts. Those big trees chop houses in half.

G

TOC said:
Worst thing around here is two weeks of monsoon...followed by 50MPH winds with gusts. Those big trees chop houses in half.

Typical June-November down here. :whistle:

That being said, no way, no how would I EVER live in a place where I may be iced or snowed in....possibly for WEEKS! :shocked:

And you yankees think us suthrin' boys are nuts!!!! :whistle:

I'd take ten more Katrina before I'd allow Jack Frost to be nippin' at me chestnuts. :eeek:

I prefer them roasting. :thumbsup:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Got the covers over me head....

Attachments

• 29974.jpg
    29974.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 190
G

I hope y'all make out alright.

Notice I didn't say "et al". I don't speak yankee. :jester:

I do use the phrase, although in other ways.

"Y'all et al dem crawfish yet brah?"