• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

xk140

JIM NEWMAN

After much searching, I've just acquired a 1955 xk140FHC. It is magnificent! I thought I knew pretty much all there was to know about the car before buying it, however, I was surprised to find that under the floor mats, the floor is WOOD!
Now I know Jaguar made extensive use of wood, and this floor is in superb shape, but is this the way it would have come from the factory or has someone sometime in the past 47 years done a novel rebuild? Anyone out there with a similar car looked under their floor mats recently?
Thanks for the response.
jim

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Jim, welcome to the forum! In answer to your question, the XK140 had steel under the seats, but the floorpan forward of the seats was indeed wood, in fact plywood! So your car is authentic. Enjoy, you are a lucky man to have found such a beautiful car.

Charles #677556

Jim;
Great to have another "XK" on the BCF Forum.. I have a '53 120 DHC that I bought in May '67 while attending college (a short-lived adventure). It is presently in the "Stalled" phase of a twenty-seven year "restoration".. that means I took it apart 27 years ago and it's been in boxes since
frown.gif

The good news is, I've bought most of the parts needed to complete the restoration
thumbsup.gif
Now, I just need to finish all the "other" projects
shocked.gif
and get back to my DHC.
nopity.gif

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JIM NEWMAN:
After much searching, I've just acquired a 1955 xk140FHC. It is magnificent! I thought I knew pretty much all there was to know about the car before buying it, however, I was surprised to find that under the floor mats, the floor is WOOD!
Now I know Jaguar made extensive use of wood, and this floor is in superb shape, but is this the way it would have come from the factory or has someone sometime in the past 47 years done a novel rebuild? Anyone out there with a similar car looked under their floor mats recently?
Thanks for the response.
jim
<hr></blockquote>

Upload a picture or two in our Members Gallery!
grin.gif
thumbsup.gif

Charles #677556

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JIM NEWMAN:
Thanks for the response.
jim
<hr></blockquote>

Jim;
To answer your question, Yes, this it Factory Correct..
I have a 120 DHC which only has an 18" (or so) square plywood "floorboard" at the "front" of the floorpans. the rest of the floorpan is steel with a "tar-like" underlayment.. The 120 OTS has full, front to rear, plywood floorboards.. I don't know what the FHC has, but I assume it's the same as the DHC.. Since the 140's were "basically" a 120 body with "modifications", I suspect the plywood floorboards are the same set-up as the 120's.. The 150's changed totally, I believe.
If you are in need of replacing the wood and are handy with wood-working tools, call a Plywood specialty store and get the Baltic Birch, Marine Grade plywood.. it has more "plies" (seven or nine, I forget) that does the US (CDX) stuff and it's thickness is metric (9mm, 12mm, etc), not in inches, so it will "fit" correctly.. The Marine grade comes in five foot by five foot sheets. Also, paint or seal all six sides before installing.. helps it last much longer as it is exposed to road spray if driven in rainy weather.