• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mechanical virus?

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I think we all know that hardware problems tend to come in clusters - maybe some airborne virus? In the past few weeks we've had the following...

The DVD drive in my laptop stopped working. Naturally, it's at the very bottom of all those small cards and gizmos and it took me 3 hours to replace it.

Our laser printer just jammed up. Wouldn't feed paper, wouldn't even try. It was a cheapy so I replaced it. Naturally, we had a new $80 toner cartridge on the shelf that now is useless.

Our phone has had intermittent problems and has dial tone about half time. The phone company keeps trying, but no fix for over a week.

The inkjet printer packed it in. It was doing its daily (weekly?) "cleaning cycle" and then started stuttering and bound up. Sort of like a cat I had once. We replaced that too. Now I need to try to return a bunch of spare cartridges for the old one. Plastic gears suck.

Now, the outboard motor just let out one huge backfire and I found a sparkplug laying in the housing. I'd even <span style="font-style: italic">torqued</span> them this time, which I seldom do. I guess that used head wasn't in a good shape as it seemed. I have a spare & have ordered a head gasket.

Then an under counter light in the kitchen started acting up. Just replaced that since the transformer replacement would have cost more than a new light.

I plan to start parking the cars at a neighbor's, well away from the rest of our mechanical stuff since whatever it is is clearly spreading.

Nice to have those new printers, though.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
That's not a virus, that is a GREMLIN in you house. You might need an exorcist.

G

We got new cell phones a while back. I didn;t need one but I had to get it then because we had to resign a contract. I wanted to keep using my old phone till it died. For whatever reason, she needed to take apart my old phone and get e number off the back which she then programmed into her computer...eventhough I wasn't turning the new phone on or the old one off.

Later that nigh my old phone started to make a beeping noise I've never heard from a cell phone. It was dead by the next moring. Seems AWEFUL strange....

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there is ware that destroys electronic gagets......cause they don't make any money....unless you buy a new one. :wink:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
coldplugs said:
...Our phone has had intermittent problems and has dial tone about half time....

I say that's a good thing.
Leave it alone!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The "Rule of Threes" has exponentially grown as technology progresses. We're headed for a topsy-turvy crash.

Would you put quarters into a Las Vegas slot machine driven by a CHIP?!?! People DO it!!! That amazes me.

If ya can't thread a needle to sew on a button, fix your broken plumbing or the wonky broken possessions, or hit your target at seven yards...
you will be among the losers. Eaten most likely. :smirk:

This whole thing SUCKS. Being self-sufficient has become UN-PC. Disgusting.

I'm hoping for a similar incident to the Alvarez Scenario. It'd be quick, total and cleansing. :devilgrin:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
coldplugs said:
The DVD drive in my laptop stopped working. Naturally, it's at the very bottom of all those small cards and gizmos and it took me 3 hours to replace it.
Shoulda turned it over. Then the drive woulda been at the top.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
I'd suggest you and the family go out in the backyard and sacrefice a chicken or two to the house gods. You can buy them by the bucket at KFC....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

G

DrEntropy said:
Would you put quarters into a Las Vegas slot machine driven by a CHIP?!?! People DO it!!! That amazes me.

The fact folks put money in them period amazes me.

G

DrEntropy said:
hit your target at seven yards...

So ~thats~ what's been going on! Smits gettin' ready to go grocery shopin' :thumbsup: :jester:

Good thing is, 'round here most folks will be bacon flavored. :laugh:

G

kellysguy said:
DrEntropy said:
hit your target at seven yards...

So ~thats~ what's been going on! Smits gettin' ready to go grocery shopin' :thumbsup: :jester:

Good thing is, 'round here most folks will be bacon flavored. :laugh:

Have the Missus start gettin' her list ready :devilgrin: :

https://news.yahoo.com/us-really-experience-violent-upheaval-2020-162332158.html

<span style="font-size: 8pt">(aaaaaaah, we're all gonna...oh, nevermind :jester:) </span>

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
All options are still open, Billy.

"WHOOPEE!!"

we're <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">calm</span></span> here.