• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A smart young guy

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
We had thousands of visitors at the New England Air Museum (www.neam.org) open house the day after Thanksgiving. Perfect fall weather, and a good stream of people all day.

For the library tours, I put "eye catchers" in various library areas, to stimulate interest. A 17th century book on the theory (!) of flying, some engineering drawings, a wind tunnel test model, a Beech Staggerwing photo, B-29 tech manuals, etc.

One young visitor made quite an impression on me.

A family of two adults and two children (ages 12 and 10) came on one of my tours, upstairs in the stacks, and downstairs in the archives. Father said his 10 year old "really likes airplanes and reads lots of airplane books and magazines".

Upstairs there's a wind tunnel model of the Burnelli CBY-3 Loadmaster.

800px-Avion_Burnelli_CBY-3_MaquetteSoufflerie.jpg

I showed the model to the two children, and asked how that model is different from most other aircraft.

The ten year old took the model in hand, turned it to look at different angles, and said:

"The fuselage provides lift. It's shaped like a wing."

Now THAT is an impressive 10 year old. I detect a bright future.

Tom

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gives one hope!!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
V

vagt6

Cool to think that maybe that kid's a future Neil Armstrong.

To inspire a kid: the greatest thrill. :yesnod: