• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My Tacoma has problems

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
My '09 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner has the DTRL option, Day Time Running Lights, that have overheated and burned and cracked the housings. The lights still work but the problem is getting worse to the point that I will have to change the whole headlight units, to the tune of $600+. The truck is out of warranty and the dealer said tough. I called Toyota in California and they said they never heard of the problem. Lying SOBs. The internet brought up hundreds of these problems with that year Tacoma, all because Toyota put in too hot a bulb in that year only. And they refuse to admit to it. Couple that with my AM/FM radio CD goes on for no reason, they changed it twice under warranty and now is doing it again. Toyota said they never heard of such. The internet says otherwise, very common problem with the 09's. Think I have bought my last Toyota...

V

vagt6

What a pain, Bill.

Could be that you have a pennypinching dealer? Maybe try another dealer? Of course you can check junkyards for the parts to save a bit.

Man, if we can't rely on Toyota, we're in trouble. Pretty bulletproof cars, generally.

Bummer. :yesnod:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Junkyard's probably your best bet. Find a rolled or rotted out one and grab the housings.

And if you want to pick a car company that has a great record of really listening to their customers and fixing all issues, then you'd better take up walking.
grin.gif

rkep01

Jedi Trainee
I've got a 2005 Yukon that has very hot DTRL as well, although they haven't melted the sockets or housings yet but the sockets are very heat discolored and I have to replace the bulbs every year or so. :frown:

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Have you checked RockAuto?

OP
T

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
A followup on my dilemma, I went back to the Toyota shop where I bought my truck and he gave me a Toyota help line to call. He didn't think I would sit in the parking lot and call. Got back to Toyota Pomona, told the gal how I had researched the net to find this problem quite common. She agreed to look at my case, had me fax a copy of the estimate ($803.00!!!) to her and will see if there is anything they can do. I think I will get screwed but worth trying. Heck, at those prices, maintaining an LBC is not so bad!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bill said:
Heck, at those prices, maintaining an LBC is not so bad!

That's been my contention for years. Another thing is,I see one and two year old cars with bulbs out. Never could figure that. Some of the lamps in my cars are thirty+ years old.

And the one-piece, plastic headlamp housings are a TOTAL rip-off, IMO. Seems the things are designed to rot/melt/fail in less than five years. All the ones I've replaced are a minimum of $150 for knock-off Chinese ones and $300+ from dealers.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The wife's old, now my kids, 2003 Accord went thru about 7 headlamps in about 5 years.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
DrEntropy said:

And the one-piece, plastic headlamp housings are a TOTAL rip-off, IMO. Seems the things are designed to rot/melt/fail in less than five years. All the ones I've replaced are a minimum of $150 for knock-off Chinese ones and $300+ from dealers.

I don't know if they're <span style="font-style: italic">designed</span> to fail but they sure seem to. And the cost is appalling.

Re the Tacoma: Good luck Bill. I have an '05 Tacoma (first year of the "new" style). Most unsatisfying truck I've ever had. I bought it new to replace my '87 Toyota truck that had 165000+ miles on it. My daughter still has the '87.

I and another Tacoma (2011) owner spent an hour last weekend trying to dissuade a neighbor from buying one. I figure I'll keep it a while longer (it's comfortable - I'll give it that) but only because I don't want to spend the money on something else.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
the '87 'yotas were good looking trucks, and built to be trucks at that! Why would you get rid of that in favor of one of the new wannabe sedans they're calling trucks these days?

Definitely owning and maintaining an LBC is less expensive than buying a new car. Parts for the LBCs are so much lower. With strategic upgrades, reliability of an LBC can be just as good as any new car on the market. Granted, you may upset purists, but to each his own.

Before i buy another Toyota-(and i have owned several) i plan on walking around it with a Geiger counter.....

m

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
SilentUnicorn said:
Before i buy another Toyota-(and i have owned several) i plan on walking around it with a Geiger counter.....

m
:lol: :lol: :lol:

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
My next door neighbor took his '99 Tacoma in for servicing, they wouldn't return it to him. He had no idea the extent of the problem that occured: https://tacoma-upgrade.com/2009/06/info-o...l-for-rust.html
Toyota correctly wrote him a check for the high side retail value of the vehicle. While absolutely no argument with the settlement, he's not shopping a Toyota replacement.

OP
T

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Now you are making me queasy. Need to go back to GM, methinks.
Whatever happened to Toyota being bulletproof?

My brother in law has a toyota pick up- don't remember the year- but it had a frame that turned to swiss cheese in under 4 years. Toyota replaced for him Free of charge. complete frame- new hard lines, rubber lines, fuel lines, springs, e brake fixings the whole nine yards.

m

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
And of course always be wary of anecdotal information. A good friend of mine has a '99 Tacoma with 190,000 miles on it and still going strong. He feels it's good for at least another 100,000 miles. There's a story for every side of a story...
grin.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Since this was about DRLs, I just wanted to point out that my '09 Chevy Express van has a switch that allows you to turn them off (after you start the engine).
I don't know if Toyotas have a switch like this, but if they do, it might be worth using it.

For the records the DRLs on my Chevy seem to run cool and have not been a problem. In fact the entire vehicle has been excellent and it's actually a pleasure to go to my dealer for routine service (very moderately priced service, by the way).

We had a 4-WD Nissan pickup that almost broke in half due to frame rust.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
My opinion (tho it don't amount to a hill o' beans) is we're bein' ~allowed~ to pick the next vehicle we drive... like a ~killing zone~ we're being channel'd

... I'll go fit up th' AFDB now.

:jester:

:smirk: