• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vroooooooooom!

Morris

Yoda
BCF... we have vrooom on my COPs/Megasquirt set up!

And what a long, strange trip it's been.

Lessons learned:

1) Wiring is hard.
2) Wiring is dangerous.
3) Never wrap it in tape until you have tested it.
4) Never work on projects involving electricity and volatile chemicals when wild fire danger is at it's highest level in recorded history.

Still to do:

1) More wiring
2) Research—I cooked one of my coils. I have not seen a ballast in any of the wiring diagrams I have looked at, but as the total resistance for all four coils is 2.2, methinks some ballast may be in order.
3) More wiring

This project has been keeping my up late and away from my family for a while now. I think it's time for a break.

Also, I am little drunk and I kinda feel like crying.

I love you guys!

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Modern ignition systems control current flow to the coil electronically which negates the need for a ballast resistor. They have been since the introduction of the GM HEI, which is why I like to use the HEI module (even with my Ford distributors). If your coil drivers limit current you won't need to use a ballast. I am unfamiliar with your system, perhaps you may be able to research this aspect of it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:thumbsup: :cheers: :grouphug:

video?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Woohoo! :cheers:

Though with no pictures or video, it never happened.

198686d

Jedi Trainee
I like the part about being drunk and crying. Sounds like a typical combination for working on an LBC.

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Lesson learned #5—If you drive a sheet metal screw through a bundle of wires, it is likely to cause a short. :rolleyes:

Anyway... vroom again today. The car fires up instantly, but runs disappointingly rough. :frown:

So more work to do.

RickB

Yoda
#5a. if you drill through a bunch of house wiring while trying to install something like a new front door bell your weekends will be booked solid for a while or you will have to pay an electrician to come out and do a lot of work...
(don't even ask how I know)

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Yeah, one of the fun things about putting nails and drills into walls is that you're playing Russian roulette with the wiring. Same probably goes for cars, as those wiring harnesses can be hidden in strange places.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As a nineteen year old "yout" doing the first MGB rebuild, I put a drillbit and a pop-rivet thru the rear harness when doing a floorpan repair. Didn't know it 'til it was time to check taillight function days/weeks after. That led to a fair bit of head scratchin' and consternation. When found hours later, it was highly embarrassing.

Me Ol' Fella thought it hilarious. I, not so much at the time. :wall: