• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Has anybody else done this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
oh Dave. You are looking for trouble . The Microsquish police will come over and brain wash you while you sleep

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Just start usin' Firefox!!!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Doc, speaking of the Fox,sorry to steal this Dave.

When I accidentally close down FF and try to restart it an error window comes up saying that FF is running and to close it before starting again.
I go into task manager and nutin is running. How do I find out what is taking so long to close?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
DNK said:
I go into task manager and nutin is running.
Look for Firefox under the processes tab, not the applications tab of Task Manager.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I do use FF. But, I am comfortable with IE6. This new box has IE8. If I can "skin" 8 to look like 6, and still make the morons who have websites that lock me out because I'm using 6 think it's 8, it's a rod up Gate's.....well, you get the idea.

I had a personal run-in with his security folks once......good thing for both they didn't try to pat me down.
I HATE that SOB.
Ooops. Prolly not supposed to say that on this forum.

I also figured out how to kill automatic updates after they decided WGA was a "critical" update and overrode your settings to "notify but do not download".
Most IT guys don't even know how.

We always give a special salute when driving past or boating past the enclave in Medina.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
GregW said:
DNK said:
Look for Firefox under the processes tab, not the applications tab of Task Manager.

part of my problem with FF (actually all my problem) was it didn't release memory, just gobbled it up till the computer ground to a halt. Had to install ccleaner and clean everything every hour or two - got annoying.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

Worked pretty good. Killed off most of the annoying BS microslime added to IE8. Couple of small things.....figure them out later.

OP
A

aerog

JPSmit said:
GregW said:
DNK said:

part of my problem with FF (actually all my problem) was it didn't release memory, just gobbled it up till the computer ground to a halt. Had to install ccleaner and clean everything every hour or two - got annoying.

A few (well...maybe more than a few, I don't know) people have had to uninstall FF and delete the profiles it was using, then reinstall.

The problem cropped up around when ver 5 came out; it not only starts gobbling up memory but it will freeze up occasionally while it cleans up files. Eventually it will return to normal but the problem comes back.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

My only issue with FF so far is the window that says script running has become slow or non-responsive.....do you want to stop the script or continue? ALWAYS stop it.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I have given up on IE and FF. I use Chrome all the time now and most of my issues have gone away.

But speaking as someone who does website programs I know why they make it so only certain versions of IE and FF work. Certain types of functions need the newer browsers and who wants to support the old ones. No body because of all the security issues as well as old programming and because consumers want all the bells and whistles to work on the sites.

I would say get use to IE8 or chrome and many of the other issues you may be having will also go away.

Steve_S

Yoda
Agreed, IE hasn't been the best browser in many years. I'm also a Firefox user. You can get plugins and skins to make it do just about whatever you want, and look however you like.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

6 was good, 7 was horrible, 8 isn't much better. What I have done is skinned 8 with 6.