• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chance encounter

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Coming home in Diesela last eve after a day playin' out with friends, we see a bronze colored Karmann Ghia drop-top parked IN an intersection turn lane with the engine lid up and a fella standing behind it scratching his head while on his cell-phone. Herself "hooked a Uie" and we parked behind it with four-ways blinking.

At first the poor guy was a bit concerned, being confronted by the apparition of some old guy in a loud Hawaiian shirt, sunglasses and a boonie hat, claiming to know something of the mechanics of his engine. He explained he'd just purchased the car a week ago, had all-sorts done to it at a local VW specialty shop to make it go...
it went until around 6:30PM yesterday. :shocked:

Got him to spin it as we cheched for spark, plenty of that. Horsemits produced a pair of small pliers from her purse (yeah, she carries TOOLS in that sachel) and we undid the fuel line at the pump exit. Another short spin with the key (plastic cup under the output hose), no go-juice! Dry, dry, dry. "yer fuel pump's FUBAR."

His wife pulled up and had called a Jerr-Dan as she arrived. While we waited for that to show up we explained he could get a replacement pump from NAPA, pro'lly less than $50. And the replacement could be easily done in less than an hour. Turns out he is a fellow byte-herder, not afraid to tackle a couple fasteners and a gasket, either. They had it towed to their home instead of a shop and if he has any problem doin' th' deed he has my contact info as back-up. We insisted he call when the car was safely home, all went well. The flatbed operator was excellent, never had to transport a Ghia before but took advice and did no harm instead of taking the Macho Road. He will get more referrals from me.

All-in-all a GREAT Thursday afternoon for us, I think we've made some new friends. :laugh:

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Now this post I understand! You're a good dobee Doc and your wife's not so bad either. Hugs to you both for being so kind. :grouphug:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, I'm a real swell fella... :smirk:

This Ghia was sooo sweet I couldn't NOT stop. Turned out to be a Frankenstein of sorts, early, mid-60's front-end with a '73-ish rear. But done exceptionally well. The engine is equipped with two single-hole Solex's and neat as a pin. I wuz smitten.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That guy was lucky to have met the doc and s'mits... good going!
Last week my wife and daughter were on their way to a trade show in NJ. A tire blew out on my wifes car... she pulls over and a good guy like you doc shows up behind her to change the tire. The wife offered him some cash for the good deed and he refused to take it but said to "pay it forward".

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I do wish I coulda got him on his way with a hairpin and some bubblegum but alas... :smirk:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ghia convertible - one of my favorite former rides. Tooled all around N.O. in that thing.

Doesn't take much more than bailing wire and bubble gum to keep 'em rollin'.

Good on ya, Bro. And who wouldn't be taken aback if someone in Hawaiian shirt, shades, and boonie had shown up? :jester:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
UPDATE: When we first stopped to assist, asked the lad if there was fuel in the tank and he gave a definitive "yes"...
he was going by the gauge. :shocked: :lol:

Now we'll need to see why it reads 1/4 full when he's on fumes. :jester:

G

The vapor locked last night and I had to stand on the boat fuel tank in the trunk with the vent shut to push it all through. Worked great.