• This "Local Events" forum is expressly for posting local events that would be of interest to British car enthusiasts. You post an event in the same way that you would post a regular thread. Be sure your event post includes:
    • Title of the Event
    • Location of Event
    • Date(s) of the Event
    • Point of contact for Event
    • Website, Facebook Link, etc., if available
    IMPORTANT: Be sure to add the event to our Events Calendar. It's easy - WATCH VIDEO to learn how.
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jim Thorpe Classic Run VI - 9/24/2011

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
Mark your calendars. The Jim Thorpe Classic Run is back for its sixth year! The run is open to any car, 25 years or older.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The date:</span> Saturday, September 17, 2011 (rain date: September 24, 2011)

<span style="color: #CC0000"> DATE CHANGE: Saturday, September 24, 2011 (rain date: October 1)

New deadline to register or request refund: September 19 </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">The meeting place:</span> The Cracker Barrel (21 Industrial Drive in Hamburg, PA - near the intersection of I-78 and Rt. 61)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Departure time:</span> 10:00am (driver's meeting at 9:55am Please arrive by at least 9:45)

Join us for a scenic cruise to the quaint town of Jim Thorpe, PA. We'll enjoy a drive along some back roads in Berks, Schuylkill, and Carbon counties in Pennsylvania. Along the way, we'll have a couple stops for lunch, and a scenic overlook of Jim Thorpe before we roll into town for the climax of the drive. Lunch will be a BBQ at the farm my parents own along the route. It's a great place to stretch our legs and get some group shots of the cars. Lunch will be $7 per person and will include your choice of hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, chips, soda, water, and some of the best ice cream you've ever had for dessert!

For pictures from previous year's runs and additional Jim Thorpe, <span style="font-weight: bold">click here</span>.

Registration forms can be downloaded <span style="font-weight: bold">here</span>. All registration forms must be received by September 12, 2011. Money is refundable until September 12, 2011. After that time, I will have already begun spending that money to buy supplies.

If you've never been to Jim Thorpe, you are in for a treat. It is a small town originally built up around the coal industry, and famous for it's gravity railroad that, at one time (way back when), made it the second largest tourist destination in the country, behind Niagara Falls! After a decline, the town has been reborn once again as a tourist destination, offering quaint shops, restaurants, and B&B's. Tour the Packer Mansion - the house that inspired the haunted house in Disney World. Or make a weekend of it and enjoy some of the biking or whitewater rafting that draw thousands to the town each year. Like trains? Take one of the scenic train rides that leave from town at numerous times during the day.

Directions to the Cracker Barrel for those coming via I-78:
- I-78 to exit 29 for Rt. 61 N toward Pottsville
- Right at light onto Jetson Dr
- Bear right after the gas station (on your right) and follow that road to the Cracker Barrel

What you need to bring:
1. Two way radio - to receive instructions/information or ask for help if your car decides to be tempermental!
2. Full tank of gas (you can top off near the starting point)
3. $5 for parking in Jim Thorpe. Sometimes they charge, sometimes they don't, but be prepared.
4. Spare parts, oil, coolant, whatever other fluids may leak out of your car, tools, a sense of humor, and some patience. Hopefully nobody will have any problems but it helps to be prepared.

Long distance travellers:
For those who'd like to drive out the night before, there is a hotel just up the road from the Cracker Barrel:

Microtel Inn & Suites
(610) 562-4234
50 Industrial Dr
Hamburg, PA 19526

I suggest making reservations at least a couple weeks in advance. The Microtel is the ONLY hotel in the area and it fills up with people looking to head across the highway to Cabelas.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post in this thread. Hope to see you in September!

Confirmed so far:
1. Jerseygirl (Triumph Spitfire)
2. Ian F (Volvo 1800ES)

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Robyn,

Steph and I will be joining you again this year. We have a wonderful time at the run.

Maybe we can get Paul G to show up this year.

Don Rorick
Stephanie Hogan

JBann

If I am home from college that weekend, I hope to be able to make it in my '64 Spitfire!

It's nice to have a local tour so close to home!
- Jan

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jan
If you can make it let me know and we can meet and drive down together.

JBann

Don_R said:
Jan
If you can make it let me know and we can meet and drive down together.

That would be a great idea! I will certainly let you know. We really are not far from each other; perhaps our paths will cross before then.

- Jan

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Please note date changes, per Jerseygirl.

Mickey

OP
Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
Sorry for the confusion everyone! It turned out that my original date conflicted with the Keystone MG Club's annual picnic and since they've always shown pretty strong attendance at this run, I like to work with their schedule as much as possible.

Would have updated the first post myself, but for some reason this forum won't allow me to edit my own posts.

So if you were thinking about attending, please double check that the date still works for you.

<span style="font-weight: bold">New date: 9/24/11
New rain date: 10/1/11</span>

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
There is a chance we'll make it this time. That assumes we survive Stowe & are ready to spend another weekend on the road. I'll keep you posted on our plans. Our only "conflict" is the MG ON THE ROCKS show. Ahhhh, Mauch Chunk in the fall.

OP
Jerseygirl

Jerseygirl

Jedi Trainee
For anyone registered for the run, I'm keeping my eye on Saturday's weather. Right now, it doesn't look promising, but we all know how reliable long range forecasts are.

Keep an eye on your email on Friday. I will email everyone to let you know if we need to go to the rain date OR possibly a delayed start, which has worked well in the past.

You should have received an email from me today telling you pretty much what I just said above. If you didn't, please let me know because I may have misread your email address.

Cross your fingers for sun! :smile: