• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bricklin

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Don't think I have ever seen one driving before, Actually more taken with the shape than I thought I would be, but, Oh my, the fit and finish!? Notice the driver's door fit.

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's one of the issues with them, JP.
The two panels come apart on the doors.
My brother-in-law had one in the 70's and it was a hoot to drive.
I'd take one!

Dave :driving:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
......and the moral of the story is - don't buy any car that Malcolm-
Bricklin is involved in!

- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: :iagree:

IMO:

Those things were a pile of, err, anyway, they were a pile.

Most of the interior switches, gauges, door fitments were AMC stuff. Likely the only things on it to actually work after a year or two. Work, yes. But look like third-world designs, too.

The struts to keep the HEAVY doors from being unusable would fail, nobody short of weight-lifter stature could open the things.

On top of all that the fit/finish look awful, the thing looks like a kit car badly designed from the jump.

"Dumplin' " :smirk:

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
Bricklin is involved in!...

Au Contraire, Mon Frère,

I think it would be a lot of fun to own a "Pininfarina" Spider or "Bertone" X1/9.

pc.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
PC said:
AngliaGT said:
Bricklin is involved in!...

Au Contraire, Mon Frère,

I think it would be a lot of fun to own a "Pininfarina" Spider or "Bertone" X1/9.

pc.
Or any number of Subarus...

On the Bricklin SV-1 front, I've seen a few moldering away in various collections, but have *never* seen on in motion. To think that the AMC bits were the *good* bits. Wow. My parents had 2 AMC Sportabouts in a row. Not much Sport there.
grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If ya sat inna backseat an'saw controls, ya had a Dumplin' ride.

:smirk:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The AMC "Zepplin" (actually th' Gremlin) wuz th' star.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We almost bought a new one. For some reason I think it had a Buick engine in it, not sure though. Believe it or not, we didn't buy it because it was a crappy green color. I'm glad we didn't, knowing what happened to the co and the poor quality of the car. PJ

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We almost bought a new one. For some reason I think it had a Buick engine in it, not sure though. Believe it or not, we didn't buy it because it was a crappy green color. I'm glad we didn't, knowing what happened to the co and the poor quality of the car. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It was an All-Sorts car. Whatever was available cheap was "incorporated in the design"... as if that sled was somehow "designed". :pukeface:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I believe they came with AMC engines.

- Doug

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
AngliaGT said:

- Doug

AMC ran out of engines at some times so Bricklan used a number of subs including Ford and Chrysler. There was an episode of "Chop Cut Rebuild" that was apparently financed by someone from the state of California. It required massive amounts of reconstruction from the ground up and in the end just looked like a pimped out Brick. A waste of good talent, time and resources.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
equiprx said:
AngliaGT said:

- Doug

AMC ran out of engines at some times so Bricklan used a number of subs including Ford and Chrysler. There was an episode of "Chop Cut Rebuild" that was apparently financed by someone from the state of California. It required massive amounts of reconstruction from the ground up and in the end just looked like a pimped out Brick. A waste of good talent, time and resources.

:iagree: actually the car they did was on ebay not too long ago didn't watch what it went for.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
PAUL161 said:
Believe it or not, we didn't buy it because it was a crappy green color.
Thought of this thread and your posted comment when I saw this while re-visiting the AACA Museum with one of my grandsons yesterday. This one's a 1974 with AMC's 360 c.i. V8.

1974BricklinSV-1.jpg