• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Smell?

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Okay... this post is *not* based on a serious scientific study; however, as many of you may be aware, the sense of smell is strongly linked to memory, and this coupled with my interest in LBC's has resulted in an interesting observation (hmmm... maybe this should be in the "Humor" section). Anyway...

My first experience with LBC's was in the mid to late 70's when I was in junior high. My best friend's mom drove a 70's era Midget then later an MGB. She use to chauffeur us around some before we reached legal driving age (yes, it was cramped!) These cars had a distinct smell, but at the time I didn't really pay much attention.

I bought my first LBC, a 1972 Triumph TR6, while I was in college in 1986. This car too had a distinct smell. I was still driving this car when I started dating my wife and continued driving it for a while after we were married prior to selling it in 1994.

In 2001, I bought my current Triumph TR4. During her first ride in the car, my wife commented that it smelled just like my TR6. I agree.

Earlier this year I test drove a 1977 MGB that a friend was trying to sell. It smelled just like the earlier MG's I'd ridden in... and smelled different from my Triumphs. About a week ago I bought a 1959 Austin Healey Sprite, and it smells like the MG's!

Why do Triumphs and MG's smell different?

OP
Kurtis

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I love the smell of Tr6's in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smells like... victory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Simple - built in different factories - everybody knows that the Abbingtdon panel beaters were wino derelicts that lived under the local bridges with the trolls and subsisted on Wild Irish Rose, tinned sardines and saltine crackers, and had a peculiar habit of rubbing themselves all over with the sardine oil so's to avoid detection when stalking their elusive prey.

Whereas the Triumph crew were known mostly for invading the washrooms in the local YWCA and picking the hairs out of the bars of soap and eating them - hence a peculiar gastric condition which lead to the singularly distinct aroma of cheap vinyl and flatulence which shall ever be associated with Triumphs.

OP
Kurtis

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Whereas the Triumph crew were known mostly for invading the washrooms in the local YWCA and picking the hairs out of the bars of soap and eating them...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay... this helps a lot, and (I think) I'm close to actually identifying the source of the differnt smells; however, I'm a little confused by the above statement. Did they eat the hairs or the bars of soap after they had removed the hairs?

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
All my old cars have smelled like a combination of mildew and exhaust. My '69 Corvette smells like the nasty, smelly scumbag who owned it last. No product has been able to get rid of his mildewy stink.

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Kurtis, I don't think it makes much difference - Either or will produce a consideraqble reaction indeed

Sam, one thing that works for me ( for a while at least) - We have this gizmo called an AirSource machine - it's one of these popular ionizing air filters that runs off 110v ac - My sprite habitually smelled of gear lube ( don't ask me why - no leaks or spills) I can set the AirSource in the cocpit and let it run overnight and the smell is gone - over the course of a few weeks it creeps back in slowly - Sorta leads me to believe that it may be a character trait of my car.

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
The 72 TR6 was the last year with Wilton wool carpeting. Perhaps that contributed to the unique smell.

Eric

Jedi Warrior
I know exactly what you mean. About 2 years ago I saw a ratty MGB parked near me at work, and walked over to have a look. I got within 20 feet and I recognized "the smell". It seems to be a mixture of engine oil, evaporating fuel, brake fluid and a musty mildew smell - absolutely distinctive. Or dis-stink-tive to non-LBCers. Its a smell that instantly transports me back to my foolish youth.

Working on newer cars, there's many fewer smells. All older cars have the smell, although there are distinct differences. I think older cars in general smell more because the fuel system isn't sealed and neither is the crankcase, so you get fuel vapours and oil vapours under the bonnet all the time.

Interestingly my Ferguson tractor (based on the same Standard engine as the TR 4 cylinder) has the smell as well, despite having a Solex updraught carb and a Delco alternator.

V

vagt6

The "smell" we're referring to here also reminds me of the pit area at a racetrack every time I encounter it.

Is that weird, or what?

OP
Kurtis

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My original comment/question related to the fact that MG's and Triumphs have a smell that is different from each other. I would bet that I could sit in an MG or Triumph blindfolded and tell you which car it was based on smell alone.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Though these smells are probably a combination of the many materials and fluids aged over the years -- I suspect a significant component of the TR smell (in my '3 anyway) is the horsehair that was used to pad the seats. Not sure if other marques used this.

Steven

Jedi Trainee
I believe the smell is a combination of leaking gasoline, leaking coolant, leaking hydraulic fluid, leaking window washer fluid, leaking oil, burning oil, burned brake pads on dragging brakes, cheap vinyl,moldy carpet pads, and unemptied ash tray residue containing cigarette butts from 1975.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
smell???

""hence a peculiar gastric condition which lead to the singularly distinct aroma of cheap vinyl and flatulence which shall ever be associated with Triumphs.""

Hey screenprinter , I was about to get mad until you said flatulance. Flatuence jokes make me laugh.