• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tire cleaner? Brightner? Shiner? Help!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK, I am looking for some advice as to what to use on my new tires to keep them looking clean and bright.
Having looked at the local Autozone, I came away with nothing. To many precautions about "not using on a windy day", "flammable", etc. In short I want something that won't ruin the paint if over-spray gets on, and something that won't destroy the tire over time.
So, any recommendations?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Elliot,

I use the same product as I do for the paint on the car. Mothers Car Soap and hot water with a soft bristle brush. the tires stay nice and matte black and no chemicals can harm the rubber. Also, none of that crappy silicone spins off and onto your paint.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Paul. I will check it out.
I've never "washed" my car... ever since it was painted, I've used Meguiars Final Inspection. I like it a lot, it comes out looking fantastic.

A

aerog

303 aerospace protectant. If you can't find it, order it. Wash/clean the tires with water and a soft brush, dry, then use a coat or two of 303. It won't leave them glossy wet like a gel will, but they'll look new.

V

vagt6

I found a product that is perfect for me on tires and vinyl. First, I do not like shiny tires. This stuff does <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> make the tires shiny or glossy, just clean and new looking. It also provides a protective coating and it lasts for a relatively long time.

It also does wonders on practically any kind of vinyl or plastic, interior or exterior. Also, a little goes a long way.

I've applied it to old, worn out interior plastic and vinyl bits, convertible tops, vinyl upholstery and dashboards, the works. Spray it on, wipe/buff it off.

It's called "One Grand ERV (exterior vinyl & rubber) Dressing". You can find it on a Google search.

Absolutely wonderful stuff. :yesnod:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I never used any dressing on my tires. Believe it or not, I always washed my tires with Mr. Clean and they always looked nice. A long time friend of mine always wondered why my tires never had any hairline cracks in them as his did after about a year. He used Armor-All on his tires. He stopped using it and after a new set of tires, (same brand), he never had that problem again. Needless to say, Armor-All is not on his shelf anymore. PJ

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Right you are Paul. I gave up on Armor-All a long time ago.

tomshobby

Yoda
In the 60's I used a rag with some brake fluid on it. Rub on, wipe off. I never had any problem with paint or tire cracks and the tires had a beautiful natural look no shine. For the white wall area I used an SOS pad and the whitewall looked great. In later years I used Westley's with a bristle brush and it left the tires looking similar. As far as tire cracks go, my tires don't seem to last long enough for that to happen. But it is a Triumph and in my experience tires have never lasted very long on any of my Triumphs. :smile:

I do wash my car. Engine bay and all. At a car show Sunday we were parked next to a beautiful '58 Chevy Impala Hardtop. They do not ever use water on their car, but they were so worried about a possibility of rain and every other thing imaginable. They were even worried that their trailer might get parked in.

Shirley and I had a great time. Even drove home in the rain. Would have preferred not to but it did not ruin our day.

A

aerog

Gliderman8 said:
Right you are Paul. I gave up on Armor-All a long time ago.

Amen. YUCK.

I still stand by my 303. Makes and/or keeps things looking new, not dressed.

I just redid some instruments in my airplane and removed the 25 year-old black-plastic overlay that finished the appearance of the instrument panel. Over the years it looked dirty and a little dried out. Went over it about 4 times with 303 and now it looks new. Not wet, not glossy, not dressed, just <span style="font-style: italic">new</span>.

k', I'm done :laugh:

Hey Scott,
Do you think that stuff will work on the old crusty pig on the front door?

mark