• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weights

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
i'm looking at a spec sheet for a TR6 from Moss and it lists 3 different weights. It says:

Unladen Weight - 2160 lbs
Curb Weight - 2270 lbs
Gross Weight - 2755 lbs

What do all of those mean?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey Webb --

These are confusing, and there are probably several different definitions out there. But as I remember, unladen weight usually refers to the weight of the bare car in operable condition, and with five gallons of gas.

Curb weight refers to the car full of its normal extras (tool kit, spare tire, fuel, etc.), but no driver or passenger.

Gross weight includes the above plus passengers and reasonable amount of gear (what the car is designed to carry).

Again, the definitions vary, but this is pretty close, I think.

Mickey

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I 'think'...

Curb weight means with all fluids and equipment, but no passengers.

GVW is the maximum allowable weight (incl passengers, luggage, the 100 lbs of parts I carry in the boot, etc).

Not sure about 'unladen' -- looks a bit light for a 'dry' weight as the diffesrence would account for about 14 gallons of oil, fuel, coolant, etc.

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
Unladen weight = Nothing but car and accesories no liquids

Curb weight + full tank of gas (er...petrol) water/antifreeze, windscreen washer fluid, no driver

Gross weight is the rated capacity of the suspension. In some cases it might not even be a realistic total vehicle weight... The reason trucks are also rated by individual axles.

Mike

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Curb weight and unladen weight both include standard equipment only, not optional or dealer add-ons.

GVW takes into consideration an "average" passenger per open seat, and depending on when the car was designed, it can also include the maximum cargo weight.

In general, to figure out your car's weight, take the curb weight and add your weight, plus the weight of the options and other junk in your car.