• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clean Hands

Shane

Jedi Warrior
What do you use to clean your hands after working on your car?

I have Goop and FastOrange, both work well, but I was talking to one of the techs in the warehouse and he said that he got some beige powder from an aircraft mechanic that worked amazingly well. When he went back to get some more, the mechanic said he couldn't locate a supplier anymore.

I tried searching for this in a prior thread, but couldn't find anything...

A

aerog

We use a goop-like product "gojo" here and at the airport.

A couple of years ago I got a sample of something called micro-feather or something like that - it came in a small tub, and was a green grit compound. The stuff worked great, didn't stink, and didn't leave the kind of residue that fastorange does. Wish I could remember the name of it!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Dawn dish washing liquid. Cheap, cuts grease and smells ok. It's so good, we used it when working a river project for emergency's in case of a diesel oil spill. It's amazing how fast it will dissipate the film on the water and it only takes a few drops. This was a very rare event, but sometimes transferring/pumping fuel out to the rig from shore, a few drops would inevitably hit the water. We bought the stuff by the case.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tomshobby said:
When I was a kid (1950's) my dad kept a pan with gasoline and a paint brush handy when working on his car. It was a common practice then.

I'm not following you Tom....

you mean you are NOT supposed to clean your hands with gasoline ???

:devilgrin:

my only problem with gas hand-cleaner is that right now it stings like the dickens on the rope-burn I've got from trying to get this balky Briggs & Stratton to fire up. (today I'm starting to re-think the 1" washer i've been using as the rope-pull for the last 4 or 5 years... my dog actually ate the proper handle... and she ate 2 tires too)

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
I have been wearing nitrile gloves because my skin is hydrocarbon sensitive, but when I forget I use one of the orange products. which ever one is for sale.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Pro tec here. Some of my favorites are:
Dish soap. Like was said above, cuts grease very effectivly, but is not very agressive.
Gojo fast orange is ok, it dries your hands out terrible if you use it regularly.
Borax (or any other washing soda). That's the same as the powdery stuff you mentioned. Works well, and is cheap.
Snap-On makes an excellent hand cleaner but it's tough to find outside of the Snap-On truck.
And my all time favorite is the stuff called "Mean Green" Its a gritty, green paste that goes a long way, very effectivly takes off all kinds of gunk, and dosen't dry out your hands at all. You can find it online. It's pricey, but like I said, it goes a looong way.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have been using Dawn and a scrubing pad. Works real good.
grin.gif

bugimike

Yoda
Dawn and a scrub pad work well, as do Comet and Ajax cleanser! Sometimes a quick dip in the parts cleaner (mineral spirits) to loosen stubborn stains before using the Dawn. We always keep a large bottle of Dawn handy on "Miss Lazy" (45' Chris Craft)in case of refueling spills etc. As Paul161 says, it is really effective at dissipating oil-slicks on water FAST!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've used about everything including gasoline... baaad. Mineral spirits in the parts washer most of the time, that works well enough during "work".

Settled for GoJo non-gritty "Original" and a red ScotchBrite pad to clean for real. In combination they get everything but under the nails. That takes an Oral B 40 toothbrush. (Ask our resident dentist :wink: ).

In low humidity times I use "granny grease" liberally an hour after getting home: Vaseline "Intensive Care" is good stuff! :wink:

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Boraxo, and it smells nice too.

hdpowder.gif

bugimike

Yoda
I used to have a bar of Lava soap handy in the past too. Hmmm, wonder why I quit using it? It worked!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I ~still~ keep Lava soap around. I shower with th' stuff. And a box of Boraxo as well. Boraxo is now in a "prettified" green-ish box, tho. 'smits uses it as a "laundry booster" all th' time... remember who she's dealin' with here. :smirk:

tomshobby

Yoda
jsneddon said:
tomshobby said:
When I was a kid (1950's) my dad kept a pan with gasoline and a paint brush handy when working on his car. It was a common practice then.

I'm not following you Tom....

you mean you are NOT supposed to clean your hands with gasoline ???

:devilgrin:

my only problem with gas hand-cleaner is that right now it stings like the dickens on the rope-burn I've got from trying to get this balky Briggs & Stratton to fire up. (today I'm starting to re-think the 1" washer i've been using as the rope-pull for the last 4 or 5 years... my dog actually ate the proper handle... and she ate 2 tires too)

Hi Jim! :savewave:
Do as I say, not as I do? I have been so exposed to gasoline and all sorts of chemicals over the years that I am sure I give off more pollution than I can take in. I use other things like Dawn too, but I often use gasoline for cleaning parts which is not good either but I do and then since I am in it why not my hands too?

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The single most effective cleaner know to man-kind are the nice clean towels the better half just hung in the bathroom. Guaranteed to remove any dirt you missed with the previous cleaner.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Head & Shoulders shampoo - while washing your hair...running those greasy fingernails through your hair cleans 'em real good!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ummm.... hair....

wuzzat?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
oops, soory, Doc, forgot....