• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What would you do?

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
If a friend brought a car to your house to work on it and he won't come back and take it away. A friend of mine brought his BMW here to swap his bad motor for a good one I had in a parts car. I told him it would be $300 for the motor, he could take a few pieces from the parts car, and he could swap it out here. He lives in the city and has no place to work on it. He decided that while he was here, he would try to sneak in a few other projects. I come home one day and he is swapping out the interiors, and has the bumpers off of the car in order to put on euro models which he didn't even have yet. Long story short, his car is still here six months later, I found out he was selling parts on line from my parts car, his car won't run, he won't return my calls, my driveway is covered with oil stains, and I still haven't seen a dime. I suppose that's what I get for straying over to German cars.

T

Tinster

Sounds like you need to make a delivery to your
local "The Crusher"

crusher.jpg

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Doesn't sound like much of a friend. I would lay it on the line; give him a reasonable time to pay you and get the car off your property.. and politely thank him for selling the your parts on EBay without your permission and you'll add those totals to his $300 bill. You might look into a mechanics lien.. but I think the details of this vary wildly by state.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Seems your friend is not. I don't know about Mass. but here in my city in California, any car found parked on the street for more the 3 days can be tagged by the city and eventually towed.

I know this is not nice, but but check with you local police department (I think they will tell you you can have it hauled away at no expense to you), then tell your 'friend' he has X days to move it or you will have it towed as an abandoned auto.

Count your blessing he is not family.

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful
You are being abused by your "friend". Time to give a drop dead date and demand payment. Go out and get your stuff off his car (if you want it). If this weiner misses the date haul his stuff away. Deliver your ultimatims via registered mail, and consider having an attorney draw up the letter (a small fee to pay if this guy really is putting it to you...).

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tell him that he has X days to bring YOUR money (including te Ebay scam) and then he gets it or you'll call the place that tow the junker cars for free. They advertise all over MA & RI. You may not get paid, but it doesn't sound as though you will anyhow.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Here crushing it or even taking it to a junkyard would not be an option as you need a valid in your name title to do so. A mechanics lean would most likely get the car dropped in your lap, as it doesn`t sound like the owner has enough intrest in the car to get it running and out of your sight. Which could be a big headache in getting rid of it because of the title issue. Small claims court could be one route, you could sue for storrage fees. You could Ebay enough parts off of it to recoupe your losses but then that would leave you open to suit for damages. You could tow it to an undisclosed spot on some back road and leave it there, the state would eventualy contact the owner informing hin that he has a certian timeframe to remove it or risk impoundment. I think your best bet would be to contact your city attorney inquireing as to how or what to do to rid yourself of this problem. A true friend would not leave you in this situation! Possibly you could apply for an abandoned car title, this way you could legaly dispose of the car any way you like at your discreation.
Write him off and do what you have to do.

OP
T

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
How's this for a kick in the groin? I just looked on a BMW forum he has been known to frequent. This morning he was looking for a paint scheme advice because he was going to send his car to the paint shop in the Spring after he finishes installing fiberglass fender flares, hood and trunk panels that he just had delivered. I responded that I hauled away his car two weeks ago, and that he still owes me $300. Let's see if that prompts a call from my "friend".

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's the whole point of a mechanic's lien ... if the owner defaults, you get to sell the car to the highest bidder and he gets a clean title from the state. Of course you can be the high bidder if you want; all the law requires is that you give others a chance to bid against you.

The details do vary widely from state to state, but I believe the above statement is basically true in all of them. A defaulted mechanic's lien results in someone getting a new, clean title to the vehicle (but the law generally requires that you notify any previous lien holders so they can bid on the car and/or try to file a claim with you against any excess proceeds from the sale).

OP
T

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Only one problem. I'm not a mechanic- just a plumber with a too many cars problem. 5 MGBs, 5 TRs, 2 BMWs, and a TVR, not including real world vehicles at the house now.

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful
I think you listed your real world vehicles first!

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Seems like if he answers, you still gotta deal with
him. There is such a thing as throwing good money
after bad.

Should he call, I think you should be candid in how
you feel. Tell him you've been patient and kind.

Ask him to please come forthwith; pay you your agreed-upon money; take his car off your property or you will roll it to the street and see to it that it is towed at its earliest legal moment because you feel you're being taken advantage of -- then do just that. After that, keep your distance. Be just too busy, if you know what I mean.

Minimize your time; minimize your discussion; minimize
your effort maximizing what value, if any there be, is
left. That's what I would do.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would take back the parts from your car,then get a trailer & deliver it to his residence.
I don't think he'd do that again.

- Doug

G

tr8todd said:
Only one problem. I'm not a mechanic- just a plumber with a too many cars problem. 5 MGBs, 5 TRs, 2 BMWs, and a TVR, not including real world vehicles at the house now.

I can help you with that problem - I'll be in Mass tomorrow with a trailer. I'm willing to make a detour and take one off your hands. The TVR or a TR for preference...

~Just trying to help~
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

G

A 2002 or an old 635, sure. I'm not picky, either will do...

His 'friend's' with the bad engine - perhaps not /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
AngliaGT said:
I would take back the parts from your car,then get a trailer & deliver it to his residence.
I don't think he'd do that again.

- Doug

Like your style, Doug, but way too much effort for
such a fellow.....but, then again, there is something
to be said for instant gratification.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey - he gets it out of his way,while not doing anything
illegal.
I had a "friend" ask me to keep his early '70's single
cab VW p/u at our house for "just a little while.He moved to Denver.VW sat in the driveway for over a year.I finally
towed it to Denver (brought our Son,his car,& his stuff back).
I was told that I'd get reimbursed for the trip,but I'm
still waiting.That was 2 years ago.
I guess that I'm just too trusting.

- Doug