• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Are you smart?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I missed two. I'll accept the miss on the baseball question as I really don't follow that game at all and just took a wild guess. But I also missed the one about "A Doctor gives you three every half hour. How long will the pills last?" I said 90 minutes and I maintain that is the correct answer based on the way the problem was stated. The answer of 60 assumes you take the first pill as soon as you get it - which is in no way implied in the problem statement. The problem clearing states that you take one every half hour, which would have to include the first pill as well.

Basil the genius
square.gif

A

aerog

Got 11 out of 11. I'm not sure what that means though.

Didn't miss the pill one Bas -- it doesn't matter whether you take the pill as soon as you get it, or take it later. If you start a stop-watch when you take the first pill you'll see that the last one will be gone 60 minutes later if you take them every half hour.

For example, you decide to start taking them at 3pm tomorrow - one pill gone at 3pm, one gone at 3:30pm, the last is gone at 4pm. Of course you can argue that if you don't start taking the pills for a week they're "lasting" a week, but I looked at it as though they're asking how long the dosages would last while you were taking them.

Ok... I have a headache now, thanks Nial
smile.gif

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aerog:
it doesn't matter whether you take the pill as soon as you get it, or take it later. If you start a stop-watch when you take the first pill you'll see that the last one will be gone 60 minutes later if you take them every half hour. <hr></blockquote>

I agree IF you start the stop watch when you take the first pill. BUT, if you start the stop watch when the Doc hands you the pills, then take the first pill 30 minutes later, per the instructions, then they "last" 90 minutes. And the problem does not specify in any way when the timer starts.

Basil
cheers.gif

[ 05-02-2003: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

silky

Country flag
I can't believe I missed the baseball one!

Also...if the question had said Noah, then would the correct answer have been "I don't know"? To know the actual number you'd have to know how many species were on the ark, and how many sexes there were per species, which I believe is not always two.

And I agree with Scott on the pills. When the doc gives you pills you don't wait to start taking them, since you want to get the medicine working as soon as possible.

Sadly, even with 10 out of 11 the results said my love life was going to be mediocre! Any Mensa members out there who would care to refute or corroborate?

[ 05-04-2003: Message edited by: silky ]</p>

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Hmmm 9 out of 11.. But my love life looks to be on the rise! ( pun intended )

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I saw this post I was thrilled to see Nial back.... but it was a tease.