• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rachael from OH saying hello!

H82WRK

Just purchased a 1966 Austin Healey Sprite, red with black interior and red seats (you might have seen this car recently on ebay)

Got it home over the weekend, currently waiting for the rear brake kit from V/B to overhaul the rear brakes and then I will be able to drive it all over and fix little things here and there.

I am new to the LBC stuff, my experience is with hot rods and muscle cars. I do love little cars, the addiction all started when I purchased my new Mini Cooper.

The one question I have is that I have been able to locate the body number, the engine number and another number that is on the radiator. The engine is a 948 which should not be in a 66? right? I cannot locate the chassis number and was wondering is there anyway to replicate the chassis number by researching the body number?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter and if you have a Sprite keep an eye on the Sprite forum, I will post up my projects with step by steps and photos.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Hello Rachael:
Welcome to the forum.
Im not a Sprite guy so I couldnt begin to tell you about the numbers on them. But Im sure some of the Sprite guys will be chiming in here and answer your questions.
You will find all of the information {and more} here about your car than you ever dreamed possible. These folks are friendly as well as knoledagble.
Welcome Aboard.

terriphill

Darth Vader
Hi Rachael,
Welcome! I'm a midget owner but I bet if you visit the Spridgets forum, you' ll find plenty of guys who can help you out. They have been invaluable to me!!!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome!

There are really three "numbers" on the car (not including the engine number).

One of those is on a plate mounted on a sloping member of the unibody under the carbs, in the engine bay. This is the <u>VIN</u>. It is held with two sheet metal screws and is easily removed.

The <u>body number</u> is on the door opening and can also be removed. To find it, see the picture below:
vibno.gif

The third is stamped into the front subframe and I think it is called the <u>chassis number</u>. To find it, locate the right front shock (really called a "damper" on Brit-cars). The shock is held to the subframe with three big bolts. Look about an inch behind the shock (towards the rear of the car) and you should see the stamped numbers. That area is probably coverd with dirt and grime.
The three numbers are not the same (I have no idea why), but the stamped number might help you ID your car if the other two plates are gone.
The 948 is a fine engine for road use and gets amazing gas mileage. Your car probably should have a 1098, but even if you put one in, it won't be a rocket. If the 948 is running good, I'd leave it in (and Smile as you go by all those gas stations!)

~CLICK HERE~ for more data on telling Spridgets apart from one another.

G'luck whatever you choose to do!