• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

O/D Clutching

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Those with overdrives . . .do you clutch when engaging or disengaging O/D? Seems to be easier on the gearbox that way.

Twinkie

Jedi Hopeful
Nope, I just usually make sure that I'm accelerating while engaging so that any slack is taken up(seems to be smoother that way). I even engage it at full throttle with no problems.
However, when disengaging I tend not have my foot in it as hard or will be decelerating at that point.

Ron

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: Twinkie ]</p>

A

aerog

With the J-Type OD on the MGB is similar to the others in the Triumphs I think... you can lightly lift off the throttle as the OD kicks in. With practice the OD kicking in will be so smooth you'll not even feel it.

OP
Rick O.

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Thanks. I also note that Revington TR sells an "O/D logic kit" that automatically disengages the unit between shifts. There must be something more to this than I understand.

A

aerog

In that case I wonder if they're completely different than the type put on the MGs (I thought from the Moss book they looked to be similar in design).

BEEJAY7

Jedi Warrior
I usually engage on about 3/4 throttle. But I know a lot of people who dip the clutch while engaging.
I guess it's what you're happiest with..
Although this is with a Healey I did exactly the same with my TR6.

Cheers
savewave.gif
england.gif
savewave.gif

youngsmith

I've tried doing both, and I've found that I prefer to engage the overdrive at full throttle or close to it.

I've not had a problem with it in the 30+ thousand miles since I installed the overdrive.

Tony

Carmine

Freshman Member
I always engage overdrive in my 74 TR 6 while under acceleration. It shifts very smoothly with over 100,000 miles on it. I do have a small problem when trying to down shift while overdrive is engaqged. There is a slight grind. I think it is the synchros. I disengage OD while decelerating and it operates very smoothly that way also.
Carmine
yesnod.gif

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Since the OD has its own internal clutches(one for in, the other for out)most people just flick the switch under power.There is no way to grind anything, and the clutches are in an oilbath much like a motorcycle's, so heating is not much of a problem. Just keep clean oil in it and they last for ages.
MD(mad dog)

OP
Rick O.

Rick O.

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the input you all. Forgot also to mention that another reason I often dip the clutch is to minimize the shock to the diff mounts which are prone to cracking.

Rick O.