• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Gal

tateboys

Hi! I'm thrilled to find this forum--I devoured the Autoist's webpage yesterday (feel like I know you, Tony). Here's the dish on me: Mom to 4 boys, wife of an unbelieveable MGB nut (who sold his '76 MGB in 1992 to help buy our first house--he'd bought it NEW!!!). So here I am, hoping to replace that B (however, not tied to any particular year). Been researching and looking ever since. By the way, any chance the Great Pumpkin took a drive to Athens today to buy a cute yellow MGB with a bad carb? Well, any help in my search will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for letting me pick your brains! Happy motoring (hopefully I'll be there soon)...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome - no, I'm in B'ham w/grandson....but,tell me about the B in Athens...

R6MGS

Yoda
Welcome - It's not often we get a "new gal"...I interrupted my usual order of forum reading and read this fisrt!

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Found it at www.nashvillebritishcarclub.com in the classified section. It's the '77 b for sale by Ben. He emailed that someone was coming Saturday (yesterday) w/a trailer. I'd read (and absorbed) about how you buy a car ($100 bills, trailer, etc.) and wondered if it might be you. Must've been another b lover. Anyway, I'm honored you posted back--I really love your website. Been all over it, from how to buy a car (which I've decided the best way is to just take you with me), to your Alaska trip (did you figure out which house was Sly Stallone's?) Anyway, I'm looking for a good b for my hubby, but now I'm getting addicted (he may have to find his own...)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, we'll have to help you find one...what are you looking for? driver? project?

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Don't know if I have the stomach for a project (don't want to be an MGB widow), so I'm going w/driver. He likes chrome bumpers (was '68 a good year?) Seems to be partial to that. Has experience with engine, so can do some work. I'd like a decent interior/exterior (I am a girl after all--don't like sitting in a rust bucket). And, he is a guy, so he likes RED. I however, like blue and primrose yellow. Thanks again for taking a chick under your wing!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome!

I gotta say you have a most noble lifemate! Sell the MG?!? For a HOUSE?!?! WHOA... he's a keeper.

This bunch will help you find his reward, certes. The early cars are the least complex. Aim for something pre-68.

Again, welcome. Jump right in.

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Yep, he's a KEEPER! I was pregnant w/our 1st child at the time, so he gave up his baby for a new baby. We went to see the Bs at the Hilton Head Concours last weekend, and I could see it in his eyes--he was in love (with a car, thank God). I decided it was time to fulfill his fantasy (at least the one involving a B--not the one w/me and a brunette...)

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
So does he know yet? Or is this a surprise for him...

And welcome to the forum! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Haven't told him yet--it's his Christmas present. However, once I find a good one, I will tell him. He gave up his baby and he's waited patiently for 14 years, so I want to make sure we get what he wants. But there is a part of me that wants him to open the garage and see a B there with a big red bow...

I've found one that looks good--I can email pics and info to anyone who's willing to give me their opinion. Thanks for being MGB nuts--world needs more people like you guys. Less wars if everybody's workin' or drivin' their Bs!!!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If the one you've found is near me, I'll be glad to give it a look see

OP
tateboys

tateboys

It's in Covington, LA (near New Orleans). Probably a bit of a drive for you, and I'm gettin the feeling it's way overpriced. But I REALLY appreciate the offer. My hubby always said MG owners were tops (actually I think he said topLESS)--he wasn't kidding.

Seriously, I've got about $7k for this little Christmas present. Will that get me a nicely restored chrome bumper MGB?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes - but judge carefully before you buy....for 7K, it should be almost pristing....get Gerry Masterman to help you look them over - he's over near LSU.

Better yet, there are lots of guys in South Carolina - you're not too far from Charleston...get in touch with Wray Lemke...he own Mt Pleasant Radio just outside Charleston.

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Actually, that was the only one in Louisiana I was looking at. I'm in SC (know a good guy here?) Thrilled to hear that $7k will get me a really nice B. Now to find the sweet little thing...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Go back up to my post...Wray Lemke is Charleston...or look on "theList" on my website...& contact David Maples in Augusta, GA

OP
tateboys

tateboys

Sorry, 3-yr. old was asking me a question, must've missed that. Thanks again, Great Pumpkin...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mehheh... "Great Pumpkin"!!!!

Kandace, you owe me a KEYBOARD!!!! Th' nostril BEER SNORT will be overlooked, as you're new here.

Get in contact with Lemke. And BE PATIENT!!!

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome!!! It's always good to have another female here! There are a few of us.

Your hubby sold his B for a house. I'd sell my hubby for a B...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif