• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ford buys the Rover name!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I saw on the BBC website today that Ford has bought the Rover name from BMW. Apparently, BMW had still retained the rights to the name and had decided to sell it after the collapse of MG Rover last year.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ford - Lincoln - Mercury - Jaguar - Rover

& they're cutting, what, 75,000 jobs & closing plants?

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Yep.....they must have plans for it though, I can't see them buying it otherwise. Apparently they have said that it's an important tie-in with the Land-Rover brand,so who knows?

You forgot Volvo, Aston Martin and Land-Rover, by the way....

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Volvo is known as "Fjord" now.

- Doug

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
The new guy from Boeing that'll be calling the shots is a very unsentimental no-nonense businessman. He really helped turn Boeing around (for now, anyway) but it wasn't pretty.

My guess is the Rover name deal was in process before he was hired, was relatively inexpensive, and that the name will be bundled with Jaguar if they try to sell that division.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Did you hear the rumor that GM and Ford were thinking merger?

Sounds so strange but guess it would be an option.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Does that mean that both companies will go bankrupt twice as quick? Ford needs to do something soon. Imagine the effect that would have on NASCAR!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, they all the same anyway. Then they could share engines and transmissions, etc. and they would really be the same.

Why oh why do all the cars have to look the same, the designers all went to the same school?

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Ford - Lincoln - Mercury - Jaguar - Rover

& they're cutting, what, 75,000 jobs & closing plants?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Just cut a bunch of jobs in the Ontario plant(might have closed it entirely?) I really can't image what they would do with the Rover name, Rover branded cars haven't ever been really popular on this side of the pond.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Doug (and Steve by association), now th' keyboard:beersnort ratio is gettin' distressing... Fjord, indeed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How much you wanna bet that they don't shut down any of the Mexican plants?

- Doug

Steve_S

Yoda
I didn't know there were manufacturing plants in LA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We aren't part of Mexico (yet).

- Doug

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but the invasion has begun & the invading forces are winning the first battles!

Steve_S

Yoda
So Cal is a lost cause. No Cal is still safe. I think you need a passport to enter San Diego now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but the invasion has begun & the invading forces are winning the first battles!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Yep, but it is well known you can win a few battles but loose the WAR!. --Keoke-AZ- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Yep Steve, but ford is gonna need more than a name to stay in the game.- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif--Keoke

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, but it is well known you can win a few battles but loose the WAR!.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is, if there's an army that's fighting you - we've lost all the battles so far because we're steadily retreating.