• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

racetorations?

cjm

Jedi Trainee
have heard some positive comments about racetorations,but to clarify how do you rate this firm for parts etc? have just recieved price for billet crank, made from en40b steel.looks promising,willpost pics when pc is behaving normally!thanks everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
cjm

cjm

Jedi Trainee
original crank

Attachments

• 253641-PICT0065(940x705).jpg
    253641-PICT0065(940x705).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 108

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Roger Williams speaks highly of them in his book. I have no experience with them. A billet crank is out of range for my budget.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Williams is the author of several books on Triumphs. The two that I have are How to Restore Triumph TR5, 250 & 6 and How to Imrove Triumph Tr5, 250 & 6.
You can Google on (roger williams triumph author) and find information.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

All depends on who you talk with. I've heard one or two neg comments about Darryl and his company, but wrote those off to jealousy or just plain old bile.

Overall, a few parts I've bought either directly or indirectly from Racetorations have been excellent, but that hasn't yet included anything so large (and expensive) as the billet crankshaft. Racetorations does provide a number of things that are innovative and vintage road race/sprint oriented. (Revington and Cambridge tend to be more rallye oriented.)

I believe DKU offers both: a billet crank that is a close copy of the original and another that "straightens" out the design using several dummy mains. The "straightened" crank shoudl spin up faster, due to lower interia. It makes sense to me and seems a clever idea, but unfortunately I don't know of anyone using it. As soon as I win the lottery, I do plan to try one in my TR4!

I think Darryl's crankshafts use standard flywheel fitment. I am pretty certain some others, perhaps from Cambridge Motorosport and Revington TR, require a special flywheel. Best to ask about this from any of the vendors, before commiting to a crankshaft (unless you are also planning a flywheel swap).

Roger Williams' "How to Improve" books are very good overviews (complementing both his own"How to Restore" books and Bill Piggott's "Original" series). They are relatively up to date with current supplier info and a lot of neat ideas. Don't look for deep detail and lot's of engineering. The books are mostly of an overview and compilation of ideas from mostly British sources (Williams really needs to interview folks in the U.S. for his Second Edition revisions!), and are part of Veloce Publishing "Speed Pro" series. Amazon always has them, and they often appear on eBay too.

There is no book (yet) for Spitfire & GT6, but the TR5/250/6 edition will talk about the engine you are using.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
thanks alan myers,dku? who is this please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops! Sorry, typing too quickly and making assumptions I shouldn't.

Darryl Uprichard, owner & operator of Racetorations, is often referred to by his initiials "DKU". Sort of a short hand for Triumph owners.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif